USA law enforcement officials allege Raptors president Masai Ujiri assaulted a police officer at Oracle Arena in Oakland, Calif., moments after the Toronto team won its first National Basketball Association championship, but an eye witness disputed the authorities' account of what happened.
"(The deputy) did not know who the man was and asked for the credential, and that's when he tried to push past our deputy, and our deputy pushed him back, and there was another push that kind of moved up and struck our deputy in the face", Sheriff's office spokesman Sgt.
He says several bystanders intervened and Ujiri ultimately got onto the court without displaying any credentials.More news: Lions name Warren Gatland as coach for 2021 SA tour
Video published by NBC Bay Area's Kristofer Noceda shows Ujiri appear to shove an officer, which results in a chaotic moment where a man, who presumably works with the team, attempts to keep the officers from taking action against Ujiri.
Kelly told the Chronicle no arrest was made following the incident, but the sheriff's department and Oakland police are conducting a follow-up investigation.
Footage shows the aftermath of a situation during which Ujiri is being separated from a law enforcement officer.More news: Huawei Mate X release date delayed by months, following Galaxy Fold issues
Kelly said that rather than arrest Ujiri on global television, the department chose to take the "high road" and file a misdemeanour complaint to local prosecutors.
Ujiri still has two years left on his contract with the Raptors.
"It's not like we were going to chase him down", Kelly said.More news: Argentina secures unlikely draw with Japan after losing funding
The Washington Wizards are preparing to make a massive offer to Toronto Raptors executive Masai Ujiri, according to a report. "No doubt they laid hands first, and I bet it was because they could never fathom a black man was the president of a team", wrote one responder. The Alameda County District Attorney's Office said it expected to look into the matter sometime next week.
- Kim Kardashian Announces Lyft Partnership to Help Released Inmates
- Trump says he won't fire Kellyanne Conway for Hatch Act violations
- Keanu Reeves Responds To The Internet’s Thirst Over Him: ‘It’s Really Nice’
- Trump talks trade with Apple CEO Cook as China dispute looms
- NASA Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter spots SECOND Star Trek logo on Red Planet
- Marlen Ochoa-Lopez murder: Baby cut from womb dies
- Trump Thinks Pelosi's Being A Bit Of A Fascist Lately
- UK House of Commons rejects bid to rule out no-deal Brexit
- What We Know About The David Ortiz Shooting
- France's Macron will send new oak to Trump after tree died