"On behalf of me and my family, I want to thank (owners) John and Linda Henry, Tom Werner, (president) Sam Kennedy, and the Boston Red Sox for all that they are doing for David and our family, as well as Dr. Larry Ronan and the incredible staff at Massachusetts General Hospital".
Ortiz spokesman Leo López said Big Papi was expected to remain in intensive care for at least 48 hours.More news: PM candidate Harper asks Johnson - Why won't you answer questions?
ESPN's Enrique Rojas tweeted Monday afternoon that Dr. Abel Gonzalez, who performed the surgery in the Dominican Republic, had said Ortiz was in stable enough condition to travel. Authorities originally said Garcia was the shooter, but revised that statement to say he was actually the driver of the motorcycle; the shooter remains at large, police said.
Dominican police said that 25-year-old Eddy Feliz Garcia got off a motorcycle and shot Ortiz in the back while Ortiz was at the Dial Bar and Lounge in Santo Domingo Sunday evening.
The shooting prompted Ortiz to reportedly plead with the emergency room doctor "Please don't let me die, I'm a good man". He led the Red Sox to three World Series championships, was a 10-time All-Star, and hit 541 home runs.
Dozens of fans crowded the hospital in Santo Domingo where Ortiz was being treated, causing a traffic jam. "We ask for privacy as David works towards recovery". He retired after his 2016 season and lives part of the year in the Dominican Republican, where he is known to frequent the nightlife scene.More news: USA signed ‘another very important part’ of immigration deal with Mexico
Pedro went on to say Ortiz is like a brother to him.
Ortiz began his major league career by playing six seasons for the Minnesota Twins (1997-2002), but his career blossomed after he joined the Red Sox.
"They talk about superheroes without capes and he's a superhero without a cape", Red Sox manager Alex Cora, who a former teammate of Ortiz's in Boston, said during a pregame news conference.More news: Everything We Know About Nintendo’s 2019 Lineup From E3
- Australia’s Stoinis to miss Pakistan game, Mitchell Marsh flown in as cover
- There's an enormous, mysterious mass under the Moon's largest crater
- U.S. vs. Thailand in 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup
- Russian newspapers unite in protest over arrested journalist: who is Ivan Golunov?
- Trump claims victory on Mexican migration
- Barty ends Anisimova's run to reach French Open final
- Nokia 2.2, The Cheapest Smartphone With Android Q
- More bodies found as tourist boat lifted from river
- Pixel 4 renders suggest iPhone 11-like square camera arrangement
- Iran Frees Detained Lebanese Businessman Zakka - Lebanese Official