"Kevin Hassett, who has done such a great job for me and the administration, will be leaving shortly", Trump said.
In his White House post, Hassett worked with Trump's senior adviser and son-in-law, Jared Kushner, on a proposed immigration plan that the president unveiled in May, and also backed a US move to end waivers of sanctions for countries that buy Iranian oil.
Hassett's research has long focused on the potential to expand economic growth - and middle-class earnings - by cutting corporate tax rates.More news: Beyoncé releases new 'Lion King' teaser featuring her voice as Nala
In an interview with The New York Times Sunday, Hassett, 57, said his departure was not trade-related or in connection with any issues at the White House, but was "just normal, circle-of-life kind of things".
"The trade story and the departure story are completely different stories", he said Sunday evening.
Hassett's tenure may be defined by his role in crafting the tax law, which he cited as his top accomplishment on the job along with improving the transparency of the economic models published by the Council of Economic Advisers. The chairman of the CEA serves as the chief economic adviser to the administration as a whole.More news: Trump tells outgoing British prime minister he believes Brexit will happen
On Monday, Kevin Hassett confirmed he will leave his post at the end of the month after President Trump announced he would be stepping down in a tweet Sunday night.
Trump said in his tweet that he would name a "very talented replacement" for Hassett once he returns from his overseas trip.
This article was written by Jeff Stein, a reporter for The Washington Post.More news: 4 dead in mass shooting in Australia
- Here’s how you can watch WWDC 2019
- Trump attacks CNN moments after arriving in London for state visit
- Priyanka confesses political ambitions for herself and husband Nick Jonas
- Samsung Galaxy S10e could soon come in a new red shade
- Steve Kerr says Warriors banged up ahead of Game 3
- Khachanov stuns Del Potro to reach maiden Slam quarter-final
- 'Lee6' stands alone as US Women's Open champion
- Melania Trump’s Outfit Is Being Compared to Stylings of Princess Diana
- Mystery Illness Kills American Couple in Fiji
- Trump state visit: Americans thank Royal Family for 'babysitting [their] garbage'