No other people were aboard but a dockworker trying to get out of the way of the descending aircraft slipped and injured his wrist, fire and police officials said.
The chopper was on its way to pick up passengers after refuelling. The pilot was the only person on-board at the time of the landing, he exited the helicopter and according to scanner traffic, he is uninjured.More news: Teen suspects in Colorado school shooting formally charged; case sealed
NY police officials told a news conference that the 34-year-old pilot suffered an injury to his left hand.
The helicopter was partially submerged in the Hudson River.
The aircraft came down quickly, but it was not in freefall - its blades were rotating.
Video footage from hovering TV news helicopters taken in the aftermath of the crash showed the helicopter capsized and mostly beneath the water but kept from totally sinking by inflatable pontoons that deployed as the aircraft was about to hit the surface. You know, I'm not always looking at them but like, I hear them take off, like I'm on my way to work.More news: Realme X, Realme X Lite launched with Snapdragon 710: Specs, Price
His reaction: "Just shock".
Hailing a private driver to shuttle you from point A to point B has never been easier, and it was only a matter of time before the same type of service moved to air travel.
It was tethered to rescue boats and the helipad pier.
An FDNY spokesperson confirmed the crash happened just before 2:30 p.m. Wednesday, in the area of 12th Avenue and 34th Street.More news: Sudan army ruler says talks over civil rule suspended for 72 hours
- China formally arrests 2 Canadians in case linked to Huawei
- Deepest-ever sub dive finds plastic bag at 36000 ft deep
- USA pregnant teen slain, baby cut from womb
- Briefing: US-China trade war could inflate iPhone costs by 3%
- Alabama governor clears near-total abortion ban bill
- IM Pei, architect who designed Louvre Pyramid, dies at 102
- Fans mourn as internet-famous Grumpy Cat dies aged 7
- Trump to meet with President of Swiss Confederation as Iran tensions heighten
- Small DA42 plane crashes in Dubai: GCAA
- Autopilot in use before Tesla hit semi