No other people were aboard but a dockworker trying to get out of the way of the descending aircraft slipped and injured his wrist, fire and police officials said.
The chopper was on its way to pick up passengers after refuelling. The pilot was the only person on-board at the time of the landing, he exited the helicopter and according to scanner traffic, he is uninjured.More news: Is Boeing (BA) Stock a Buy Ahead of FAA Announcement?
NY police officials told a news conference that the 34-year-old pilot suffered an injury to his left hand.
The helicopter was partially submerged in the Hudson River.
The aircraft came down quickly, but it was not in freefall - its blades were rotating.
Video footage from hovering TV news helicopters taken in the aftermath of the crash showed the helicopter capsized and mostly beneath the water but kept from totally sinking by inflatable pontoons that deployed as the aircraft was about to hit the surface. You know, I'm not always looking at them but like, I hear them take off, like I'm on my way to work.More news: Chelsea Manning Is Going Back to Jail Again
His reaction: "Just shock".
Hailing a private driver to shuttle you from point A to point B has never been easier, and it was only a matter of time before the same type of service moved to air travel.
It was tethered to rescue boats and the helipad pier.
An FDNY spokesperson confirmed the crash happened just before 2:30 p.m. Wednesday, in the area of 12th Avenue and 34th Street.More news: Alabama doctor vows to keep providing abortions when ban goes into effect
- Trump Declares National Emergency to Contain China Threat
- PGA Championship: Tommy Fleetwood chasing Brooks Koepka again
- In a first for Asia, Taiwan parliament endorses same-sex marriage
- Realme X, Realme X Lite launched with Snapdragon 710: Specs, Price
- Briefing: US-China trade war could inflate iPhone costs by 3%
- OnePlus 7 Pro Software Update Brings Four Big Improvements
- Deepika Padukone slays like a boss on day 3 of Cannes 2019
- Trump escalates resistance to House probes, refuses to comply with requests
- Alabama governor clears near-total abortion ban bill
- Donald Trump announces plan to overhaul legal immigration