It's a disappointing announcement for Peterson, who had gone up to this point with no performance-enhancing drug issues in his career. "Our coaching staff and our players are now aware that we will have to play the first six games without Patrick and they understand they have to rise to the challenge that it presents".
The 28-year-old appeared in all 16 games in 2018 and racked up 54 tackles, 1 sack, two interceptions, a fumble recovery, and 5 pass defenses. He won't be eligible to return until October 20 against the New York Giants.More news: Walmart rolls out free next-day delivery service
Peterson demanded a trade last season before apologizing.
Peterson is an eight-time Pro Bowl selection and a three-time first-team All-Pro. His suspension might be the reason that hasn't happened yet. After his suspension, it's unlikely any team will trade for his services before the season starts. Peterson will not appeal the suspension, which reportedly dropped the punishment from eight to six games.
The league announced the suspension Thursday.More news: Cal Fire: Camp Fire Caused by PG&E Electrical Transmission Lines
After Peterson backed off his midseason trade demand previous year, he said he wanted to follow in Larry Fitzgerald's footsteps as the face of the franchise.
"I think you guys understand my character, and also understand my commitment on and off the field, and also to my teammates and the Arizona Cardinals organization", Peterson said. "Just deeply disappointed, obviously, that I'm attached to something like this, but now I can put it behind me and I'm just looking forward to coming back against the New York Giants".More news: Farmer uses pocket knife to amputate leg caught in machinery
- US State Department orders all non-essential government personnel to leave Iraq
- USA suspends all commercial flights to Venezuela, citing unrest
- Uber announces major Black and Black SUV enhancements, including Quiet Mode
- Cubs' Zobrist remains on leave amid divorce
- Putin Describes Mueller Probe As 'Exotic' And 'Very Objective'
- This Was Aaron Rodgers' Cameo in 'Game of Thrones'
- Meghan Markle Sent a Lovely Note to Her High School Reunion
- Keanu Reeves Leaves Stephen Colbert Speechless After Comment On Death
- Bluetooth pairing bug forces Google to recall select Titan Security Keys
- Ubisoft's Pirate Game 'Skull and Bones' Has Been Pushed Into 2020