"This spike is concerning, especially because the downward trend in recent weeks demonstrated that it was possible to keep the infection rates from going up", said Ogbonnaya Omenka, an associate professor and public health specialist at Butler University.
The highest number of cases was reported in New York City, where there was an outbreak in Orthodox Jewish neighborhoods.More news: New Zealand PM Calls On Companies To Prevent Streaming Of Terror Attacks
The measles causes a rash, along with a serious fever and cough. "Measles is so contagious that if one person has it, up to 90 percent of the people close to that person who are not immune will also become infected", according to the CDC website.
As of Friday the New York State Department of Health reported 272 cases of measles since the outbreak began in October, 162 of those cases have been reported this year.
The vaccine is 93% effective against measles after one dose and 97% effective after two doses. Lawmakers in CT are trying to remove the religious exemption from vaccines.More news: Baytown officer fatally shoots woman after struggle over Taser
"We saw. a lot of kids with measles and pneumonia, measles and croup, measles and acute encephalitis", says Dr. Joel Forman, who was just starting his pediatric residency at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City in the summer 1990.
The analysis was done by researchers at The University of Texas at Austin and Johns Hopkins University and considered the areas volumes of global travel from foreign countries with large measles outbreaks and the prevalence of nonmedical exemptions from childhood vaccination. Amongst these, 41 are from New York City alone while 25 cases were confirmed in nearby Rockland County, reports Xinhua.
As for adults, the CDC recommends that those who were born during or after 1957 who do not have evidence of immunity against measles should get at least one dose of MMR.More news: Crowned by Burger King, meat replacement company Impossible Foods raises $300 million
- How much coffee is too much?
- Deepest undersea dive reveals depths of humanity's filth
- Shrinking moon may cause moonquakes
- MPs To Vote On Theresa May's Brexit Vote AGAIN Next Month
- Black Mirror Season 5 Trailer: Miley Cyrus, Anthony Mackie Star
- Huawei willing to sign 'no-spy' agreements with governments
- Monster Hunter-like Dauntless officially launches next week
- Barcelona close to deal for Ajax and Netherlands star
- Colorado School Cleared Student Violence Concerns Months Before Shooting
- Xiaomi launches Mi Express Kiosk: A smartphone vending machine in India