Jets CEO Christopher Johnson said in a statement he told Maccagnan he was being relieved of his duties in the morning. Johnson goes on to justify today's choice "what would be in the best long-term interests of the New York Jets". For what it's worth, Gase later downplayed the reports. That connection could help serve as his next pro launching point, though Douglas has been rumored as the favorite to be the next Jets general manager even prior to Maccagnan's official ouster Wednesday.
In a stunning move, the New York Jets fired general manager Mike Maccagnan on Wednesday.
News out of NY is the Jets have fired their general manager, Mike Maccagnan and VP of Player Personnel Brian Heimerdinger.More news: Shrinking moon may cause moonquakes
The New York Jets are shaking things up in the front office and it'll likely have an impact on things in Philadelphia. Gase and Maccagnan also reportedly disagreed over free-agent strategy with Johnson, according to ESPN. We have discussion on everything.
"I don't know who decides to put that stuff out there", Gase said.More news: B.C. couple identified as victims of Alaska plane crash
Maccagnan compiled a 24-40 record during his tenure as Jets GM, with the team slumping to 4-12 last season.
Maccagnan, who was hired as GM in 2015, was not relieved of his duties this past offseason when coach Todd Bowles was sacked - leading many to assume that Maccagnan's job was not in jeopardy. "In fact, he made it clear that he didn't want to spend a lot of money on any running back". He also acquired left guard Kelechi Osemele from the Raiders in a trade. ESPN reported during the draft that friction had developed between Maccagnan and Gase because of disagreements over personnel during free agency.More news: Apple TV's "Channels" subscriptions and TV app overhaul are here
- Yikes, WhatsApp exploit allowed spyware to be installed with a phone call
- Realme X Lite debuts with SD710 SoC and a notch display
- Selena Gomez Calls Social Media 'Terrible' and 'Dangerous'
- Baytown officer fatally shoots woman after struggle over Taser
- WWE Smackdown: Roman Reigns teams up with The Usos
- NY continues to lead the nation in measles outbreaks
- Britney Spears' manager says she may never perform again
- Barcelona close to deal for Ajax and Netherlands star
- Microsoft offers security update to fix critical issue in older Windows systems
- Colorado School Cleared Student Violence Concerns Months Before Shooting