Considering each contract is equal to 5 bitcoins, the total notional value of 33.7K contracts equates to more than $1 billion in total value traded, and more than 168K worth of bitcoins.
According to Coindesk price charts, this is the sharpest increase the cryptocurrency has seen since July of past year when it rose over $2,000 in under two weeks, which has naturally led to a huge amount of speculation about what is driving the current market.More news: Kremlin Says Concerned over Escalating Iran Tensions despite Pompeo Claims
The first digital coin broke $8,000 and touched $8,187 late on Monday before retracing towards $8,8030 by the time of writing.
While it is hard to say what might have triggered the stellar recovery, analysts point out to the signs faster of institutional adoption as companies like Fidelity Investments and E*Trade expand their presence in the industry.
"There are literally dozens of reasons for Bitcoin to be surging right now but the important thing to remember is the main driver of this rally is increased adoption", Mati Greenspan, a senior market analyst at eToro, told Business Insider.More news: Monster Hunter-like Dauntless officially launches next week
There is no real fundamental explanation as to why bitcoin, the original cryptocurrency, hit a 10-month high on Monday. Ownership is anonymous, pricing is not always unified through arbitrage, and reporting and regulation are nearly non-existent - though for the past year USA futures authorities have disclosed net positions on American platforms.
Earlier this month, the Bank of Canada and Monetary Authority of Singapore announced that they had sent each other digital currencies using blockchain technology.More news: Yikes, WhatsApp exploit allowed spyware to be installed with a phone call
- Google to push new ads on its apps to snare shoppers
- NY continues to lead the nation in measles outbreaks
- Window washers rescued after their out-of-control lift slammed into building
- FCC proposes new rules to allow carriers to block robocalls 'by default'
- Baytown officer fatally shoots woman after struggle over Taser
- Black Mirror Season 5 Trailer: Miley Cyrus, Anthony Mackie Star
- Realme X Lite debuts with SD710 SoC and a notch display
- WWE Smackdown: Roman Reigns teams up with The Usos
- How much coffee is too much?
- Organisers reveal Madonna's Eurovision performance is not yet confirmed