Sunday, 26 May 2019
Latest news
Main » New Zealand PM Calls On Companies To Prevent Streaming Of Terror Attacks

New Zealand PM Calls On Companies To Prevent Streaming Of Terror Attacks

15 May 2019

A "one-strike" policy at Facebook Live will be applied to a broader range of offences, with those who violate serious policies suspended from using the feature after a single offence.

French President Emmanuel Macron and New Zealand premier Jacinda Ardern are hosting other world leaders and leading tech chiefs on Wednesday to launch a new initiative aimed at curbing extremism online.

The context: The move is a response to anger over the mass shooting in Christchurch, New Zealand, which was broadcast live on Facebook.

In an opinion piece in The New York Times over the weekend, Ardern said the Christchurch massacre underlined "a horrifying new trend" in extremist atrocities.

More news: Madison Bumgarner's No-Trade List Includes Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs

New Zealand banned automatic and semi-automatic guns, as well as high-capacity magazines, shortly after the March 15 mosque shootings that killed 51 people.

To prevent that from happening in future, the social network's investing $7.5 million for a research partnership with the University of Maryland, Cornell University, and the University of California, Berkeley.

Twitter Chief Executive Officer Jack Dorsey, Facebook Vice President for Global Affairs and Communications Nick Clegg and Google Chief Legal Officer Kent Walker will attend the meeting, according to the French president's office.

"Facebook's decision to put limits on live streaming is a good first step to restrict the application being used as a tool for terrorists, and shows the Christchurch Call is being acted on".

More news: Shrinking moon may cause moonquakes

Facebook co-founder Chris Hughes made headlines last week when he called for the company to be broken up - specifically by shedding its WhatsApp and Instagram divisions - due to its "unchecked power".

Participants will be asked to commit to pledges to eliminate terrorist and violent extremist content on social media and other online platforms.

"There is a lot more work to do, but I am pleased Facebook has taken additional steps today. and look forward to a long-term collaboration to make social media safer", she said in a statement. Also, there's no clarity on what happens after the 'set period, ' when the user regains the ability to post live videos. Facebook Inc. and Alphabet Inc.'s YouTube were widely criticized for failing to quickly remove the video.

"One of the challenges we faced in the days after the attack was a proliferation of many different variants of the video of the attack", vice-president of integrity Rosen said.

More news: Huawei willing to sign 'no-spy' agreements with governments

Under the new policy, the alleged Christchurch shooter would not have been able to livestream the massacre from his account in March, a Facebook spokesperson told CNN Business.

New Zealand PM Calls On Companies To Prevent Streaming Of Terror Attacks