"Inspired by conscientious artists who shunned Sun City in apartheid South Africa in the 1980s, Palestinian artists and cultural organizations have called for nonviolent pressure in the form of boycotts on Israel until it complies with its obligations under global law".
Meanwhile, the State of Israel has launched its own PR offensive against the worldwide Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions (BDS) movement.
Concerns had been raised that the contest could be disrupted by a surge in cross-border violence between Israel and Palestinian militants in Gaza.More news: Robert Kraft's lawyers seek permanent sealing of surveillance videos in prostitution case
"As security incidents, including rocket fire, often take place without warning, United States citizens are strongly encouraged to remain vigilant and take appropriate steps to increase their security awareness", the statement added.
Madonna and her entourage of 135 people, including the rapper KoVu, 40 backing singers, 25 dancers and a team of technicians, were expected to fly in on Wednesday, according to reports citing the Israeli-Canadian billionaire Sylvan Adams, said by the press to be footing a large part of the bill to bring Madonna to perform in Israel.
"We have an artist who would like to participate in the Eurovision Song Contest, and who we would love to welcome on that stage. I hope and pray that we will soon break free from this bad cycle of destruction and create a new path towards peace", the statement continued.More news: 'Bond 25' production 'halted after Daniel Craig suffers injury on set'
Australian contestant Kate Miller-Heidke is through to the finals.
United Kingdom residents can not vote in this round and should save their votes for the 18-act second semi-final on Thursday and the grand final on Saturday, where Rice will perform during the second half. By comparison, Palestinian protesters threw rocks, used slingshots and "Molotov cocktails", damaging property in nearby Israeli communities.
Madonna has recently released a series of singles in the lead up to Madame X, her 14th album, out June 14. Read the full statement below. The venue has prompted calls for a boycott by pro-Palestinian activists who want companies, performers and governments to disengage from Israel.More news: Canceled Interviews Led to Trump Jr. Subpoena
- Trump still confident of striking deal with China
- Donald Trump Praises Bill Barr for Investigating Russia 'Hoax' Origin
- Guardiola beats Klopp to manager of the year award
- Athletics trade Edwin Jackson to Blue Jays
- Sri Lanka clashes kill one; imposes nationwide curfew after mosques attacked
- HTC's new Exodus 1s costs $250-300, runs full Bitcoin node
- Michigan Legislature votes to ban abortion procedure
- Red Dead Redemption 2 Has Shipped Over 24 Million Copies Worldwide
- Mortal Kombat Movie Set to be Filmed and Produced in South Australia
- United Nations chief starts New Zealand visit to stress climate change