An Iranian national has been jailed for 10 years for spying for the UK.
Esmaili added that the suspect, who had allegedly been tasked with drawing up and managing cultural "infiltration" projects, had been arrested by Iranian intelligence and security agencies "more than a year ago".
Former Judiciary spokesman Gholam Hossein Mohseni Eje'i declared in November 2018 that a state employee charged with spying on the Iranian Foreign Ministry was found guilty and sentenced to 10 years of imprisonment.
Please Donate Today Did you enjoy this article?
Monday's announcement prompted an immediate response from London, with the UK's Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) saying it was "very concerned" by the Iranian move.More news: Guardiola beats Klopp to manager of the year award
Iran does not recognise dual nationality.
"An Iranian citizen in charge of the Iran desk at the".
He refused to identify the person, but said she was a student who had been looking for gaining a residence permit and employment opportunity in Britain and was hired by the British Council after a long process.
Iranian authorities shut down the British Council there more than a decade ago for what Esmaili described as "illegal activities".More news: MPs To Vote On Theresa May's Brexit Vote AGAIN Next Month
Mr Esmaili said such actions "drew the attention of Iran's security and intelligence services", which led to the woman's arrest past year.
Iran is already holding British-Iranian national Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe, who is in jail in Tehran for alleged sedition. The UK-registered charity said it has no offices or representatives in the country.
A London-based British Council employee, Aras Amiri, was arrested in Iran in 2018 during a trip to visit relatives.
"We have not been able to confirm any further details at this stage and are urgently seeking further information", an FCO spokesperson told Al Jazeera.
"Our colleague's safety and wellbeing remain our first concern, as it has been throughout their detention".More news: Pompeo to Lavrov: Trump Administration doesn't recognize Russia's attempted annexation of Crimea
"We are a non-political organization committed to people-to-people engagement, and our staff are not connected to any espionage agency", the organization said in a statement. Though the British Embassy in Tehran has reopened, the British Council has been closed since 2009.
- Schiff: Campaigns Shouldn’t Be Allowed to Get Foreign Help
- Michigan Legislature votes to ban abortion procedure
- Trump still confident of striking deal with China
- Mortal Kombat Movie Set to be Filmed and Produced in South Australia
- Asians most heavily represented ethnic minority in United Kingdom rich list
- Jon Snow Cries in New 'Game of Thrones' Documentary Trailer
- Saudi Arabia: Terrorist acts against the Gulf are targeting global oil supply
- Third of Scottish adults anxious over body image, report finds
- Rafa Benitez Emerges As Favourite For Celtic Job
- LIVE WITH KELLY AND RYAN Announces Return of AMERICAN IDOL ENCORE