Iger wouldn't comment on what their film will be about, when it will be set, or any additional details about its production.More news: Canceled Interviews Led to Trump Jr. Subpoena
Game of Thrones creators D.B. Weiss and David Benioff may be wrapping up their final season in Westeros, but now they've got a new adventure ahead of them.
After the Skywalker saga concludes in December, Walt Disney Co's next venture into the "Star Wars" galaxy will come from the creators of HBO's global hit "Game of Thrones", the company's chief executive said on Tuesday. Just last week, Disney announced their upcoming slated releases, where we learned that the first post-Skywalker-saga Star Wars film will be released on December 18, 2022, nearly three years to the date after The Rise of Skywalker.More news: Sri Lanka clashes kill one; imposes nationwide curfew after mosques attacked
After releasing five films since purchasing Lucasfilm in 2012 - The Force Awakens, Rogue One, The Last Jedi, Solo, and now The Rise of Skywalker - he said he believed "it would be smart for us to take a bit of a hiatus while we figure out what's next". "Three years was the proper amount of time to not only take a breather and reset, but really gear up for the next film's release". It's amusing that Iger is basically like, "we have so much money, sure, we'll probably make another Star War".
No word has been revealed about when Rian Johnson's trilogy will arrive, but Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker will be released on December 20 of this year. "I haven't seen IX finished yet, but I'm confident based on the pieces I've seen and the script that I read that it's going to be extremely popular", Iger said. They're set to alternate with James Cameron's planned Avatar sequels, which start in 2021 and are expected to continue every other year through 2027. Two series - "The Mandalorian" from director Jon Favreau and a "Rogue One" prequel starring Diego Luna - are already in the works.More news: Trump still confident of striking deal with China
- Schiff: Campaigns Shouldn’t Be Allowed to Get Foreign Help
- Jon Snow Cries in New 'Game of Thrones' Documentary Trailer
- Donald Trump Praises Bill Barr for Investigating Russia 'Hoax' Origin
- Barr Orders Connecticut Prosecutor to Investigate Mueller Probe
- United Nations chief starts New Zealand visit to stress climate change
- Guardiola beats Klopp to manager of the year award
- Mortal Kombat Movie Set to be Filmed and Produced in South Australia
- Pregnant woman shot, killed by Texas officer during struggle over Taser
- Antoine Griezmann to leave Atletico Madrid
- 'Bond 25' production 'halted after Daniel Craig suffers injury on set'