John and Maria learned about their son's death when they arrived at the hospital, after they didn't see him exit the series of yellow busses filled with students from the school. One of the students tells Fox31 the timing was coincidental.
Douglas County Sheriff Tony Spurlock said shots were fired in two separate locations in the high school section of the campus, which serves grades kindergarten through 12th.
The attackers were identified by law enforcement officials as 18-year-old Devon Erickson and a 16-year-old who prosecutors identified as Maya McKinney but whose attorney said uses male pronouns and the name Alec. One of them, Kendrick Castillo, was shot and killed during the struggle and a second, Joshua Jones, is recovering at home after being shot twice.More news: Baytown officer fatally shoots woman after struggle over Taser
Vikki Migoya, a spokeswoman for District Attorney George Brauchler, did not explain the reason for the delay.
The two students walked into their school with handguns and opened fire in two classrooms, authorities said.
At next week's hearing, Brauchler is expected to inform the court whether he will charge McKinney as an adult or juvenile.
"We expressed our concerns directly to DCSO, and they offered us a better alternative to have a daily part-time, off-duty sheriff's deputy with a squad vehicle", the firm said.
A high school senior who helped tackle and disarm a gunman during a school shooting in Colorado on Tuesday plans to become a U.S. Marine.More news: Donald Trump's lonely dream of Viktor Orban-like power
"He would say so-and-so doesn't like me", Beatty said, but didn't talk about anything beyond that.
Colorado court records indicated Erickson will be charged with 30 counts, including one count of first-degree murder and 29 counts of attempted first-degree murder.
Instead, the letter said the district sued the anonymous parent, "Jane Doe", for spreading what they called "defamatory statements" about the school.
A vigil for a Colorado school shooting hero abruptly led to student protests.
Both suspects in the shooting, aged 18 and 16, were pupils at the charter school. It has more than 1,850 students in kindergarten through 12th grade and is located about eight miles from Littleton, Colo., the site of an April 20, 1999 shooting in which two gunmen killed 12 fellow students and a teacher before killing themselves.More news: How much coffee is too much?
"While STEM took the allegations seriously, our investigation revealed no evidence to support any of the allegations raised in the anonymous complaint", said the school's executive director, Penelope Eucker, in a statement this week.
- John Daly hits back at Tiger and his golf cart critics
- Championship play-offs: Aston Villa pip West Brom to final spot
- Alabama, Ole Miss and Mississippi State softball teams earn NCAA postseason berths
- ITV axes The Jeremy Kyle Show for good following death of guest
- New Zealand PM Calls On Companies To Prevent Streaming Of Terror Attacks
- Crowned by Burger King, meat replacement company Impossible Foods raises $300 million
- Shrinking moon may cause moonquakes
- Black Mirror Season 5 Trailer: Miley Cyrus, Anthony Mackie Star
- Yikes, WhatsApp exploit allowed spyware to be installed with a phone call
- Madonna Defends Decision to Perform at Eurovision in Israel