Having led Ajax to their first Champions League semi-final since 1997, 19-year-old De Ligt has become one of the hottest properties in European football and is high on the agenda of several of Europe's top clubs, including Juventus, PSG and Bayern Munich.
The 36-year-old pundit was speaking on BBC and he said that the 26-year-old England worldwide was much better than the 19-year-old Ajax captain.
Frenkie de Jong has already agreed to join Barcelona and it appears De Ligt will follow him to the Nou Camp.More news: John Daly hits back at Tiger and his golf cart critics
Many believe De Ligt will follow suit but the centre-back calmed those expectations on Sunday.
"There have been conversations, but there is still no agreement".More news: Guardiola beats Klopp to manager of the year award
The Dutchman has also flirted with the idea of joining Liverpool, where his national team-mate Virgil van Dijk plays.More news: Jet Airways revival: Etihad offer hinges on Rs 9,000-cr debt write-down
The former Southampton player has proved to a be a rock and a leader at the heart of Jurgen Klopp's defence and it's partly thanks to him that the club are in the Champions League final and go into the final day of the domestic season still with a Premier League chance. It could happen [joining Liverpool].
- Athletics trade Edwin Jackson to Blue Jays
- Donald Trump's lonely dream of Viktor Orban-like power
- Apple TV's "Channels" subscriptions and TV app overhaul are here
- ITV axes The Jeremy Kyle Show for good following death of guest
- Madison Bumgarner's No-Trade List Includes Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs
- Red Dead Redemption 2 Has Shipped Over 24 Million Copies Worldwide
- IRAN: British Council worker jailed for spying for UK
- MPs To Vote On Theresa May's Brexit Vote AGAIN Next Month
- The New Stranger Things Lego Set Literally Turns Everything Upside Down
- Crowned by Burger King, meat replacement company Impossible Foods raises $300 million