Having led Ajax to their first Champions League semi-final since 1997, 19-year-old De Ligt has become one of the hottest properties in European football and is high on the agenda of several of Europe's top clubs, including Juventus, PSG and Bayern Munich.
The 36-year-old pundit was speaking on BBC and he said that the 26-year-old England worldwide was much better than the 19-year-old Ajax captain.
Frenkie de Jong has already agreed to join Barcelona and it appears De Ligt will follow him to the Nou Camp.More news: Asians most heavily represented ethnic minority in United Kingdom rich list
Many believe De Ligt will follow suit but the centre-back calmed those expectations on Sunday.
"There have been conversations, but there is still no agreement".More news: Rafa Benitez Emerges As Favourite For Celtic Job
The Dutchman has also flirted with the idea of joining Liverpool, where his national team-mate Virgil van Dijk plays.More news: LIVE WITH KELLY AND RYAN Announces Return of AMERICAN IDOL ENCORE
The former Southampton player has proved to a be a rock and a leader at the heart of Jurgen Klopp's defence and it's partly thanks to him that the club are in the Champions League final and go into the final day of the domestic season still with a Premier League chance. It could happen [joining Liverpool].
- Pompeo to Lavrov: Trump Administration doesn't recognize Russia's attempted annexation of Crimea
- 'Bond 25' production 'halted after Daniel Craig suffers injury on set'
- MPs To Vote On Theresa May's Brexit Vote AGAIN Next Month
- The New Stranger Things Lego Set Literally Turns Everything Upside Down
- Deepest undersea dive reveals depths of humanity's filth
- Microsoft offers security update to fix critical issue in older Windows systems
- Crowned by Burger King, meat replacement company Impossible Foods raises $300 million
- Donald Trump's lonely dream of Viktor Orban-like power
- Guardiola beats Klopp to manager of the year award
- ITV axes The Jeremy Kyle Show for good following death of guest