The axing of Empire follows the cancelling of co-creator Daniels' 20th Century Fox TV produced Star on May 10 after three seasons, which Collier today called "difficult". Collier said they're trying to make it a big TV event, in an attempt to have the series go out "guns blazing".
Now going into the last season, there are questions about actor Jussie Smollett and if he will now be returning to the show to bid a final farewell as Jamal.More news: Anti-gay preacher Steven Anderson banned from Ireland
Smollett did not appear in the final two episodes of the show's current season, having been written out as he grappled with the aftermath of what Chicago police have said was a staged attack.
"We're excited to see the show go out with a bang and that's really what we've been focused on and what's been great with all these early season conversations".
The Lyons will get just one more run at Fox.More news: Tottenham manager Pochettino quells Dele Alli injury fears
As for Star, which had been paired on the schedule with Empire, it fell victim to Fox's prime-time schedule, which is an hour shorter per night than the other networks, Collier said. Asked about whether that has changed, now that Empire will be ending after the next season, Collier remained mum.
Smollett claimed a pair of masked attackers yelled "this is MAGA country" - a reference to President Donald Trump's "Make America Great Again" 2016 campaign slogan - put a noose around his neck, and poured a substance that smelled like bleach on him while beating him in a Chicago street around 2 a.m. January 29 in near zero temperatures.
Smollett has starred on "Empire" since the show's start in 2015.
Empire was hit by low-ratings during its season finale, which some people believe has to do with Jussie Smollett, although, that hasn't been substantiated and it can't be either.More news: Samsung Insider: Galaxy Note 10 Won't Actually Get the Camera Upgrade
Season Six promises to be filled with drama, shocking surprises and more jaw-dropping moments.
- 'Game of Thrones' Coffee Cup Is a Scene Slayer
- Sri Lanka imposes new curfew as mosques attacked
- 'The Jeremy Kyle Show' pulled off air after guest dies
- Thousands of People March for Palestine in London
- Three bodies found impaled with crossbow bolts in German hotel room
- Elon Musk's trail date set for 'pedo guy' tweet
- China Responds to Trump's New Tariffs, Targeting $60 Billion in US Exports
- Apple Just Released The New Apple TV App
- Episode 5's Aaron Rodgers Cameo Revealed
- Lena Headley had 'mixed' feeling over Cersei Lannister's big moment — SPOILER ALERT