The axing of Empire follows the cancelling of co-creator Daniels' 20th Century Fox TV produced Star on May 10 after three seasons, which Collier today called "difficult". Collier said they're trying to make it a big TV event, in an attempt to have the series go out "guns blazing".
Now going into the last season, there are questions about actor Jussie Smollett and if he will now be returning to the show to bid a final farewell as Jamal.More news: Lena Headley had 'mixed' feeling over Cersei Lannister's big moment — SPOILER ALERT
Smollett did not appear in the final two episodes of the show's current season, having been written out as he grappled with the aftermath of what Chicago police have said was a staged attack.
"We're excited to see the show go out with a bang and that's really what we've been focused on and what's been great with all these early season conversations".
The Lyons will get just one more run at Fox.More news: Eden Hazard makes transfer claim amid Real Madrid rumours
As for Star, which had been paired on the schedule with Empire, it fell victim to Fox's prime-time schedule, which is an hour shorter per night than the other networks, Collier said. Asked about whether that has changed, now that Empire will be ending after the next season, Collier remained mum.
Smollett claimed a pair of masked attackers yelled "this is MAGA country" - a reference to President Donald Trump's "Make America Great Again" 2016 campaign slogan - put a noose around his neck, and poured a substance that smelled like bleach on him while beating him in a Chicago street around 2 a.m. January 29 in near zero temperatures.
Smollett has starred on "Empire" since the show's start in 2015.
Empire was hit by low-ratings during its season finale, which some people believe has to do with Jussie Smollett, although, that hasn't been substantiated and it can't be either.More news: Lionel Messi left Anfield in tears following Barcelona's drubbing by Liverpool
Season Six promises to be filled with drama, shocking surprises and more jaw-dropping moments.
- Supreme Court rules against Apple in lawsuit targeting App Store
- Houston Ship Channel reopens to vessel traffic following tanker collision
- Three bodies found impaled with crossbow bolts in German hotel room
- Anti-gay preacher Steven Anderson banned from Ireland
- Elon Musk's trail date set for 'pedo guy' tweet
- China Responds to Trump's New Tariffs, Targeting $60 Billion in US Exports
- Hollywood star Doris Day, singer of ‘Que Sera, Sera,’ dead at 97
- Episode 5's Aaron Rodgers Cameo Revealed
- U.S. stocks plunge as China strikes back at USA with higher tariffs
- Harry and Meghan pay tribute to mums on Mother's Day