However, it would mean they would largely based out of the United Kingdom for two to three years.
However, it is thought the role is likely to be in Africa due to the couple's tie's there.
Sir David Manning, the former British ambassador to the USA and special adviser on constitutional and global affairs to Harry and the Duke of Cambridge, is said to have drawn up the plan and a decision on where the couple would be based may not be taken until 2020, The Sunday Times said.More news: Golden Knights Vs. Sharks Live Stream
Harry went to Lesotho during his gap year in 2004, and co-founded the Sentebale charity for vulnerable children in Lesotho, Botswana and Malawi in 2006.
While the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have only just relocated from London to Windsor, there are reportedly plans being put in place for the royal couple to move countries.
It holds a special place in their hearts as Harry took Meghan to his favourite luxury camp, Meno a Kwena in Botswana, to celebrate Meghan's 36th birthday and mark their first year together.More news: All Celebrities Featured In Lil Dicky's "Earth" Music Video
According to royal expert and author of Harry and Meghan: Life, Loss, and Love Katie Nicholl, Meghan is "incredibly hurt and disappointed by how many members of her family have behaved, but from what I am told, she's moved on".
The newspaper said the move would also give the couple a chance to "enjoy a break from the divisions that have riven the royal household in recent months".
Prince Harry was reportedly put forward as a contender for the role of Australia's Governor-General by palace aides keen to utilise the "rock star" status of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. However, on Sunday, the royal couple took to their newly-opened Instagram account to wish the Queen a very happy 93rd birthday. "The Duke will continue to fulfill his role as Commonwealth Youth Ambassador".More news: Revised NAFTA Will Add Only Marginal Gains to US Economy
- Libya crisis: Clashes erupt south of capital Tripoli
- US Official Confirms North Korea Didn’t Test Ballistic Missile
- Boyz N the Hood director John Singleton hospitalised after stroke
- Jose Mourinho tells Liverpool to 'create a cage' to stop Lionel Messi
- DeGrom Playing Catch Again Sunday, Will Likely Not Receive MRI
- Sarah Sanders reiterates Comey claims despite admitting to lying
- Bees on Notre Dame rooftop survive this week's devastating fire
- Mali’s government resigns as anger mounts over massacre
- Zookeeper suffers ‘lacerations and punctures’ in tiger attack at zoo in Kansas
- Top Democrat says he can foresee impeachment proceedings "possibly coming"