The Surface earbuds stem from Microsoft's desire to leverage that audio technology in more products, Sams reports. Of course the difference here would be that Microsoft's option would be powered by Cortana, its own AI and competition to Apple's Siri and Amazon's Alexa.
Microsoft's Surface headphones and their carrying case. "Thurrott does say that the buds could contain a feature that "[improves] interactions between a phone and the earbuds" to make reading websites, e-books, and other digital content easier on smartphones, but that functionality may not make it into the final product.More news: Toronto Maple Leafs bounce back big against the Boston Bruins
It wouldn't be Microsoft's first foray into high-end headphones, either.
Microsoft also isn't the only tech giant looking to take on Apple.
The headphones, under the reported codename Morrison - a likely reference to The Doors frontman Jim Morrison - could be called Surface Buds, though that could change, Thurrott reports. These features would include active noise cancellation, Cortana integration, answering questions and controlling music, and great battery life, though nothing has been concretely mentioned.More news: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order features "cinematic" and immersive combat
A Bloomberg report last month said that Amazon is developing earbuds with its AI Alexa assistant built into them.
The company's reinvention under Satya Nadella has brought us many things, some good, some bad, but one of the words that keep coming back is "cuckold".
The new head phones cost the same as the original version.More news: Notre Dame fire: Paris laments as Emmanuel Macron commits to rebuilding cathedral
They're available for purchase now online and in Apple stores.
- Microsoft to bring its best auto racing game to Android and iOS
- SpaceX Loses Falcon Heavy Rocket Center Core Booster in Atlantic Ocean
- Patriots sign wide receiver Demaryius Thomas
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez shares her ideal 'Game of Thrones' outcome
- MDHHS reports new case of measles related to U of M visit
- Amazon is reportedly preparing to launch a free music streaming service
- Georgia Engel Dead - 'Mary Tyler Moore Show' Star Dies at 70
- Fiji fall apart in Singapore 7s final
- The 'Regular' OnePlus 7 Has Leaked Looking Just Like the 6T
- Russell Wilson tweets he has new deal with Seattle Seahawks