A pet deer has attacked and killed a man and seriously injured his wife in Victoria's north-east.
Citing Victoria Police, the ABC reports the deer attacked the couple around 8:20am as they walked on their Moyhu property, some 25 kilometres south of Wangaratta.
The 46-year-old man entered the stag's enclosure in the morning at Moyhu in Victoria state, Police Sergeant Paul Pursell said.
"It's a very, very short sharp season where they get aggressive and fight with each other", said David Voss from Australian Deer Association, a hunters' lobby group.
Mr McDonald's wife and son heard the attack unfold, and ran to help.More news: Apple Spending Over Half A Billion on New Gaming Service
A local ambulance officer nearby was first on the scene.
The deer was euthanised due to concerns about the paramedic's safety on the scene.
Police say the deer was a Wapiti - a cross between a Red deer and an Elk.
The woman suffered life-threatening injuries after going to her husband's aid, local media said.
A study into Australian deaths caused by animals undertaken by the University of Melbourne's Dr Ronelle Welton showed no fatal deer attacks between 2000 to 2013.More news: Chinese video sharing app TikTok banned in India
Police are continuing their investigations.
The family had kept the stag for six years and it was the only deer living on the property, along with a small number of sheep.
Sambar deer can weigh up to 230kg, according to Victoria's Game Management Authority.
He added that it's not unheard of for a deer to fatally attack humans in a domesticated scenario, adding: "Deers stop eating, they shed a huge percentage of their body weight".More news: Amazon is reportedly preparing to launch a free music streaming service
- Fiji fall apart in Singapore 7s final
- Microsoft to release Surface Buds to compete with Amazon and Apple
- MDHHS reports new case of measles related to U of M visit
- Duke’s Zion Williamson declares for the NBA Draft
- Georgia Engel Dead - 'Mary Tyler Moore Show' Star Dies at 70
- Patriots sign wide receiver Demaryius Thomas
- Is Verizon's Pixel 3 Exclusivity Coming to an End?
- After "Parivar Bhakti" Taunt, PM Modi Offers Salve To Amarinder Singh
- Team assesses Everything went wrong with lunar landing
- Finland's Social Democrats on top in partial election result