A pet deer has attacked and killed a man and seriously injured his wife in Victoria's north-east.
Citing Victoria Police, the ABC reports the deer attacked the couple around 8:20am as they walked on their Moyhu property, some 25 kilometres south of Wangaratta.
The 46-year-old man entered the stag's enclosure in the morning at Moyhu in Victoria state, Police Sergeant Paul Pursell said.
"It's a very, very short sharp season where they get aggressive and fight with each other", said David Voss from Australian Deer Association, a hunters' lobby group.
Mr McDonald's wife and son heard the attack unfold, and ran to help.More news: S. Korean photographer wins Pulitzer Prize
A local ambulance officer nearby was first on the scene.
The deer was euthanised due to concerns about the paramedic's safety on the scene.
Police say the deer was a Wapiti - a cross between a Red deer and an Elk.
The woman suffered life-threatening injuries after going to her husband's aid, local media said.
A study into Australian deaths caused by animals undertaken by the University of Melbourne's Dr Ronelle Welton showed no fatal deer attacks between 2000 to 2013.More news: Chinese video sharing app TikTok banned in India
Police are continuing their investigations.
The family had kept the stag for six years and it was the only deer living on the property, along with a small number of sheep.
Sambar deer can weigh up to 230kg, according to Victoria's Game Management Authority.
He added that it's not unheard of for a deer to fatally attack humans in a domesticated scenario, adding: "Deers stop eating, they shed a huge percentage of their body weight".More news: Who is Bill Weld? Donald Trump facing shock 2020 Republican challenge
- Despite injury-plagued year, Rafael Nadal remains King of Clay
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez shares her ideal 'Game of Thrones' outcome
- Amazon is reportedly preparing to launch a free music streaming service
- Russell Wilson signs record-breaking contract with Seahawks
- Ronda Rousey Says She's On An "Impregnation Vacation" After Breaking Hand
- Microsoft to release Surface Buds to compete with Amazon and Apple
- IOS 13 to Reportedly Include Dark Mode, Multitasking Improvements
- Is Verizon's Pixel 3 Exclusivity Coming to an End?
- Fiji fall apart in Singapore 7s final
- SpaceX Loses Falcon Heavy Rocket Center Core Booster in Atlantic Ocean