Bush awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom to Arnold Palmer in 2004.
Sunday's win was the 15th major victory of Woods' career and his first since 2008.More news: Deadly storms push through the U.S. East Coast
President Donald Trump announced he will give the Presidential Medal of Freedom to Tiger Woods after the golfer won the Masters Tournament for the fifth time ever and the first since 2005. Trump has promised a lot on Twitter, so it remains to be seen if Tiger will actually receive the Medal, but as of now it's been a pretty great week for the golf icon.
Woods' victory marked his first Masters victory in 14 years, after a series of back problems and personal problems threatened to end his career.More news: Fire rips through mobile showers at Coachella music festival in California
Trump, of course, is an avid golfer, who played alongside Woods and Nicklaus in early February at one of Trump's Florida courses, with Nicklaus's son Steve rounding out the foursome.
The medal is the highest civilian honor in the United States and is given annually to people who have made outstanding contributions to the security or national interests of the country, to world peace, or to cultural or other significant public or private endeavors. Three of them - Pro Football Hall of Famers Roger Staubach and Alan Page as well as Major League Baseball legend Babe Ruth - are most famous for their athletic achievements.More news: Guardiola reckons Man City must win all remaining fixtures to regain title
Mr. Trump owns a dozen golf courses in the US and frequently spends his weekends at his clubs in Florida, Virginia or New Jersey.
- Authorities: Large, flightless bird kills its Florida owner
- Fordham student injured in fall from bell tower
- Another ROYAL FIRST! Inside Meghan Markle's water birth
- Barcelona v Manchester United
- Harden scores 29 as Rockets rout Jazz in Game 1
- Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri reveals what went wrong with plan against Liverpool
- Orioles' Davis singles in 1st, ending record hitless streak
- Blazers Outlast Thunder 104-99, Take Game 1 in Portland
- PCB conducts players' fitness tests for World Cup 2019
- Lori Loughlin intends to plead not guilty in college entrance scam