The cathedral's spire and roof were gone, however.
French President Emmanuel Macron pledged to rebuild the cathedral that he called "a part of us" and appealed for help to do so.
Join Nine News for the latest in news and events that affect you in your local city, as well as news from across Australia and the world.More news: Ilhan Omar says Trump’s actions are inciting death threats
A French cultural heritage expert says France no longer has trees big enough to replace ancient wooden beams that burned in the Notre Dame fire. "It's the place where we live our greatest moments, from wars to pandemics to liberations", he said. The Pinault family owns a 3,000-piece art collection, with works by Picasso and Mondrian, and their net worth is about $35 billion, according to Forbes magazine.
Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo said in a Twitter message that Paris firefighters were still trying to limit the fire and urged Paris citizens to respect the security perimeter that has been set around the cathedral.
Hundreds of people lined bridges around the island that houses the church, one of the most visited tourist attractions in the world.More news: Toronto Maple Leafs bounce back big against the Boston Bruins
Paris fire chief Jean-Claude Gallet said the structure had been saved after firefighters managed to stop the fire spreading to the northern belfry. Gallet said 'two-thirds of the roofing has been ravaged'. The extent of the damage is still unclear, but the reconstruction will likely take years.
The fire came less than a week before Easter amid Holy Week commemorations. "I think of Notre Dame and I think of the Eiffel Tower".
A firefighter is seen fighting the flames at Notre-Dame Cathedral April 15, 2019 in Paris, France.More news: Johnny Depp Calls Amber Heard's Deposition Detailing Physical Abuse A "Hoax"
- Harvick wins pole at Richmond Raceway
- Avs, MacKinnon rally to beat Flames in OT
- Ex-DNI chief: 'Stunning and scary' that Barr would raise spying allegation
- Worknesh Degefa and Lawrence Cherono win Boston Marathon
- Microsoft to bring its best auto racing game to Android and iOS
- Real Madrid manager Zinedine Zidane reveals who can replace Cristiano Ronaldo
- Climate change protesters block roads in London
- Samsung’s Fancy Galaxy S10 In-Display Ultrasonic Fingerprint Scanner Has Been Duped
- Rep. Omar says death threats spiked after Trump tweet
- Pope Francis blesses palm branches as he ushers in Holy Week