He reportedly reached an agreement Saturday to coach the Kings.
The last time Kings general manager Vlade Divac conducted a coaching search, it spanned weeks, with more than 10 candidates drawing interviews.More news: Lori Loughlin intends to plead not guilty in college entrance scam
Neither the Kings nor Walton waited long following changes that came just after the end of the regular season. He then served a season as associate head coach for the Thunder and spent a couple of years in the Spurs' front office before joining the 76ers in 2018-19.
Walton even filled in for Steve Kerr during the 2015-16 season, guiding the Warriors to a 39-4 start before Kerr returned after dealing with health issues. The other coach who is reportedly in the mix is former Cleveland Cavaliers head coach Tyronn Lue.More news: 3 killed after small plane collides with helicopter in Nepal
"They are losing one of the best human beings in the National Basketball Association, they're losing a guy who knows the game as well as anybody I've ever met, they're losing somebody players believe in and players want to play for", Kerr added.
When Walton was originally hired prior to the 2016-17 season, he was viewed as a young head coach leading the team's young core. They posted a 39-43 record under Joerger this season, but they chose to go in a different direction after missing the playoffs for a 13th consecutive season.More news: Deadly storms push through the U.S. East Coast
But what would a hypothetical Lakers trade for Davis look like just months after Los Angeles seemingly showed a willingness to deal anyone besides LeBron James for the perennial All-Star? In fact, since moving to Sacramento before the 1985-86 season, the only winning seasons for the Kings came in Adelman's eight years at the helm, highlighted by a trip to the Western Conference final in 2002.
- OnePlus 7 details may be officially revealed on April 17
- Israel Folau served with breach notice over comments
- Measles cases in NYC rise to 329, outbreak expected to worsen
- Orioles' Davis singles in 1st, ending record hitless streak
- Authorities: Large, flightless bird kills its Florida owner
- Elon Musk Tweets Out Another Tesla Forecast in Midst of SEC Talks
- Kim offers Trump a third summit
- Sudan protesters continue sit-in, demand civilian rule
- David Griffin Agrees To Become Pelicans' Executive VP Of Basketball Operations
- Another ROYAL FIRST! Inside Meghan Markle's water birth