Amazon is in discussions to launch a free music streaming service, with Amazon monetising this offering through the implementation of ads, Billboard reports. Apparently the new service will offer a limited selection of songs but wouldn't cost users anything - a bit like the free tier that Spotify offers.
As it stands, Spotify is now the only big-name music streaming provider to offer an ad-supported free tier. The streaming company reports a paid subscriber base of 96 million, with another 116 million using the free option, per its most recent quarterly earnings report.More news: 3 killed after small plane collides with helicopter in Nepal
Amazon is busy negotiating terms and conditions with several music labels to bring the ad-supported free service and expand its portfolio.
According to Billboard, Amazon plans to launch its own ad-supported offering as an alternative to its existing Prime Music service. The tech giant's beefier music service, Amazon Music Unlimited, offers more than 50 million songs.More news: IOS 13 to Reportedly Include Dark Mode, Multitasking Improvements
Amazon isn't new to the music streaming game.
This fee is reduced to $7.99 if users have a Prime subscription, or $3.99 if users agree to only listen through an Amazon Echo speaker.More news: Brooklyn Nets upset Philadelphia 76ers in play-off opener
A completely free service would theoretically allow Amazon Echo smart speaker owners to ask Alexa to stream music without having to pay for any subscription. Right out of the box users would be able to start playing music without making any payments or signing up for another service.
- Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order features "cinematic" and immersive combat
- Ilhan Omar says Trump’s actions are inciting death threats
- Watch BTS Perform On 'SNL' : All Songs Considered
- NBA Playoffs 2019: Celtics vs. Pacers Game 1 live stream
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez shares her ideal 'Game of Thrones' outcome
- Yogi Adityanath, Mayawati Punished For Poll Code Violation
- GAME OF THRONES Premiere Watched By Record 17.4 Million Viewers
- Notre Dame fire: Paris laments as Emmanuel Macron commits to rebuilding cathedral
- Ex-DNI chief: 'Stunning and scary' that Barr would raise spying allegation
- Microsoft to bring its best auto racing game to Android and iOS