He then quickly spotted his family and raced over to hug his children before making his way to the scorers room while being congratulated by his fellow golfers who lined the way.
It was the United States golfing icon's 15th major in all - and fifth win at Augusta - but the first time he has clinched one of golf's big four prizes since 2008.
Tiger Woods celebrates after sinking his putt to win the Masters.
Some of golf's best and brightest were also quick off the mark in congratulating their rival, including Jack Nicklaus - whose record of 18 major titles is being chased down by Woods - and Great White Shark, Greg Norman.More news: Chief: Boy thrown from Mall of America balcony being treated
As he struggled to comprehend the magnitude of his historic Masters triumph, and its likely impact on golf interest levels worldwide, Woods admitted his form in last year's majors followed by his first PGA Tour win for five years at the Tour Championship gave him renewed belief heading into this week. "When I tapped the putt in, I don't know what I did but I know I screamed". So for them to see what it's like to have their dad win a major, I hope that's something they will never forget.
"And I just kept telling myself to miss the ball in the correct spots, and I did, time and time again".
Professionally, it's an impressive comeback for sure after Woods' was forced to undergo surgeries for back and leg injuries that almost ended his career. It could have gone so many different ways, and I just kept hanging in there until the last couple of holes.
All those moments built to Sunday, when Woods was once again his old familiar dominating self.More news: Johnson left red faced after practice swing gaffe
In a desperate attempt to get the season's first major across the finish line before the storm hit, officials pushed up start times and sent golfers off in threesomes from both the first and 10th tees.
The years since his last major victory have been drama-filled for Woods.
At Carnoustie it was Woods who stumbled on the back nine while leading. The two double bogeys ended his Green Jacket bid.More news: Top House Democrat steps up demand for Trump's tax returns
- Newcastle United fans urge club to sign Salomon Rondon permanently
- Students of US’ Georgetown University approve funds to support slaves’ descendants
- National Basketball Association playoff schedule 2019: Warriors-Clippers first-round dates, times
- Tornadoes kill at least three children as massive storm sweeps U.S
- How to watch Game of Thrones (Season 8) Online
- Curry sets playoff record as Warriors dominate Clippers
- Facebook accidentally included secret messages inside its Oculus Touch controllers
- Cain may not be able to pass US Senate hearings
- GoT star Iain Glen to play Bruce Wayne in Titans series
- Disney Partners with Coca-Cola for Star Wars Galaxy's Edge