He then quickly spotted his family and raced over to hug his children before making his way to the scorers room while being congratulated by his fellow golfers who lined the way.
It was the United States golfing icon's 15th major in all - and fifth win at Augusta - but the first time he has clinched one of golf's big four prizes since 2008.
Tiger Woods celebrates after sinking his putt to win the Masters.
Some of golf's best and brightest were also quick off the mark in congratulating their rival, including Jack Nicklaus - whose record of 18 major titles is being chased down by Woods - and Great White Shark, Greg Norman.More news: Child critical after being thrown from third floor balcony
As he struggled to comprehend the magnitude of his historic Masters triumph, and its likely impact on golf interest levels worldwide, Woods admitted his form in last year's majors followed by his first PGA Tour win for five years at the Tour Championship gave him renewed belief heading into this week. "When I tapped the putt in, I don't know what I did but I know I screamed". So for them to see what it's like to have their dad win a major, I hope that's something they will never forget.
"And I just kept telling myself to miss the ball in the correct spots, and I did, time and time again".
Professionally, it's an impressive comeback for sure after Woods' was forced to undergo surgeries for back and leg injuries that almost ended his career. It could have gone so many different ways, and I just kept hanging in there until the last couple of holes.
All those moments built to Sunday, when Woods was once again his old familiar dominating self.More news: GoT star Iain Glen to play Bruce Wayne in Titans series
In a desperate attempt to get the season's first major across the finish line before the storm hit, officials pushed up start times and sent golfers off in threesomes from both the first and 10th tees.
The years since his last major victory have been drama-filled for Woods.
At Carnoustie it was Woods who stumbled on the back nine while leading. The two double bogeys ended his Green Jacket bid.More news: BTS kicks off new era with EP, song with Halsey
- Curry sets playoff record as Warriors dominate Clippers
- Tornadoes kill at least three children as massive storm sweeps U.S
- Disney Partners with Coca-Cola for Star Wars Galaxy's Edge
- Democrats slam Trump over sanctuary cities threat
- Cain may not be able to pass US Senate hearings
- Amazon, Walmart trade barbs on taxes and wages
- IPL 2019: Match 27, Mumbai Indians vs Rajasthan Royals - Lesser Known Stats
- Epic Games Has Reportedly Hired Infinity Ward Co-Founder Jason West
- TRACKING: Severe Weather possible on Sunday
- Top House Democrat steps up demand for Trump's tax returns