Now he's the man overseeing the Anthony Davis Sweepstakes.
The Pelicans have an agreement in principle to hire the former Cavaliers general manager as their new president of basketball operations, ESPN reported Friday.
Griffin, 46, was Cleveland's general manager from 2014-17. Griffin previously also worked for the Phoenix Suns.More news: Xbox One S All-Digital getting unveiled this week, out next month
The Pelicans (33-49) finished 13th in the Western Conference this year and will miss the postseason for the sixth time in eight seasons.
Griffin was among six people interviewed by the Pelicans to replace Demps, including interim general manager Danny Ferry, Golden State assistant GM Larry Harris, Brooklyn Nets assistant GM Trajan Langon, Houston Rockets assistant GM Gersson Rosas and interim Washington president of basketball operations Tommy Sheppard.
"He's kind of been the guy who has let us grow", said Pelicans guard Jrue Holiday, who is coming off the best season of his 10-year National Basketball Association career.More news: Another ROYAL FIRST! Inside Meghan Markle's water birth
Once his hiring is finalized, one of his first missions will be to supervise the trade process for disgruntled star Anthony Davis, who has requested a trade and said he won't re-sign when his contract expires next summer. This where the Celtics presumably have a leg up on the Lakers, you'd think, given Tatum's experience as the focal point of an offensive attack (see: the Kyrie-less, Hayward-less postseason run the C's went on in 2018). "Draft picks, an elite role player - somebody that could really further the cause for us as a victor because when you're bringing more young kids to the floor, you need those players to galvanize a group".
The second-year shooter reportedly wouldn't mind a trade to New Orleans, for what it's worth.
Davis demanded a trade earlier in the season, and he could become an unrestricted free agent in 2020.More news: Harden scores 29 as Rockets rout Jazz in Game 1
- Authorities: Large, flightless bird kills its Florida owner
- PCB conducts players' fitness tests for World Cup 2019
- Khloe Kardashian Has "Anxiety" Ahead Of True Thompson's First Birthday
- First STAR WARS: THE MANDALORIAN Images
- Assange used embassy for 'spying', says Ecuador president
- Lori Loughlin intends to plead not guilty in college entrance scam
- Uber files paperwork for its initial public offering
- Taliban announce spring offensive as Afghanistan peace talks continue
- Egypt's Sissi meets Libyan strongman Haftar in Cairo
- India called Pakistan's bluff with air strikes: PM Modi