Now he's the man overseeing the Anthony Davis Sweepstakes.
The Pelicans have an agreement in principle to hire the former Cavaliers general manager as their new president of basketball operations, ESPN reported Friday.
Griffin, 46, was Cleveland's general manager from 2014-17. Griffin previously also worked for the Phoenix Suns.More news: Lori Loughlin Pleads Not Guilty After Indictment for College Bribery Scheme
The Pelicans (33-49) finished 13th in the Western Conference this year and will miss the postseason for the sixth time in eight seasons.
Griffin was among six people interviewed by the Pelicans to replace Demps, including interim general manager Danny Ferry, Golden State assistant GM Larry Harris, Brooklyn Nets assistant GM Trajan Langon, Houston Rockets assistant GM Gersson Rosas and interim Washington president of basketball operations Tommy Sheppard.
"He's kind of been the guy who has let us grow", said Pelicans guard Jrue Holiday, who is coming off the best season of his 10-year National Basketball Association career.More news: Sebastian Stan Reacts to New Falcon & Winter Soldier Disney+ Show
Once his hiring is finalized, one of his first missions will be to supervise the trade process for disgruntled star Anthony Davis, who has requested a trade and said he won't re-sign when his contract expires next summer. This where the Celtics presumably have a leg up on the Lakers, you'd think, given Tatum's experience as the focal point of an offensive attack (see: the Kyrie-less, Hayward-less postseason run the C's went on in 2018). "Draft picks, an elite role player - somebody that could really further the cause for us as a victor because when you're bringing more young kids to the floor, you need those players to galvanize a group".
The second-year shooter reportedly wouldn't mind a trade to New Orleans, for what it's worth.
Davis demanded a trade earlier in the season, and he could become an unrestricted free agent in 2020.More news: American Airlines to cancel 115 flights daily
- Elon Musk Tweets Out Another Tesla Forecast in Midst of SEC Talks
- How Mueller's hunt for a Russia-Trump conspiracy came up short
- Microsoft Confirms Hackers Could Read Outlook, MSN and Hotmail Emails
- Uber files paperwork for its initial public offering
- Ex-UKIP leader Nigel Farage launches Brexit Party
- Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri reveals what went wrong with plan against Liverpool
- First STAR WARS: THE MANDALORIAN Images
- Deadly storms push through the U.S. East Coast
- Another ROYAL FIRST! Inside Meghan Markle's water birth
- Authorities: Large, flightless bird kills its Florida owner