According to DailyMail, the Pope encouraged the rival leaders, President Salva Kiir and opposition leader Riek Machar to strengthen the country's peace process.
"May the Merciful God touch the heart of every man and every woman in South Sudan, fill them with his grace and blessings, and bring forth rich fruits of lasting peace, even as the waters of the Nile, flowing through your country, bring life and abundant growth", Pope Francis said. "There will be many problems, but do not be afraid", he told the leaders, speaking without a text at the end of the meeting. "But in front of the people, hold hands united". It remains to be seen whether his ouster will imperil the peace deal.More news: Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp down, users around the world complain on twitter
"Peace is the fundamental condition for ensuring the rights of each individual and the integral development of an entire people".
Several ceasefire agreements and peace pacts have failed to end the fighting, which has led to the death of an estimated 380,000 people, uprooted a third of the population, forced almost two-and-a-half million into exile and triggered bouts of deadly starvation.
Sudanese demonstrators chant slogans as they protest against the army's announcement that President Omar al-Bashir would be replaced by a military-led transitional council, in Khartoum, Sudan April 11, 2019.More news: Braves lock up another young star, sign Ozzie Albies to extension
Sudan, a largely Muslim nation, granted the largely Christian south its independence in 2011 after decades of scorched-earth fighting.
Leaders od the war-torn North-eastern African country were invited to the Pope's residence at the Vatican for a special retreat amidst a 24-hour prayer to pave way for a peaceful formation of unity government which is just a month ahead.
The retreat was the idea of Anglican Archbishop Justin Welby of Canterbury, spiritual leader of the Anglican Communion, who attended the final part of the gathering.More news: Barcelona rest Messi ahead of Manchester United rematch
- Tesla, Panasonic freeze expansion, Nikkei says
- Redmi flagship with hole-punch display, triple cameras surfaces in video leak
- Why Tiger Woods Is Wearing A Mock Turtleneck At The Masters
- Luka Jovic’s father speaks out on potential move to Barcelona
- Stratolaunch plane makes first flight
- Facebook Messenger might soon be re-integrated into the main app
- 5 candidates to replace Dave Joerger as head coach
- Polesitter Bottas wary of Ferrari threat, despite Mercedes qualifying advantage
- Trump considered nominating daughter Ivanka for head of World Bank
- Man City left to question priorities for Crystal Palace visit