Mitchell's statement goes on to apologise for these Easter eggs slipping past the prototype phase and into production, calling them "inappropriate" and saying their internal processes have been changed to avoid this happening again.
"The messages on final production hardware say "This Space For Rent" & "The Masons Were Here.' A few dev kits shipped with 'Big Brother is Watching" and 'Hi iFixit!" Mitchell confirmed via Twitter that this was meant to be a joke included only in the prototypes.
Other hidden messages, placed onto hardware inside the controllers, included "Hi iFixit!"More news: OH governor signs heartbeat bill
Mitchell added: "While I appreciate easter eggs, these were inappropriate and should have been removed".
No devices with the messages have been purchased yet. Supposedly, these won't appear in any consumer devices.
Even still, Facebook representative Johanna Peace said affected units would not be recalled once they're shipped, which makes plenty of sense seeing as those messages won't affect how the product performs at all.
Oculus also recently announced its next-gen VR headset called the Oculus Rift S. "That said, as mentioned in Nate's tweet, the messages will be inside tens of thousands of controller pairs that will ship to consumers when Quest and Rift S ship".More news: WATCH Devastation Wrought by Deadly Tornado in Texas
'We think it's important to be transparent with our community and take responsibility when there's an error, ' she added. Still, the fact that Facebook, of all companies, is having to publicly apologize for shipping a product with secret messages like the one touting Big Brother - I mean, Facebook itself is already seen in the minds of some people as an all-seeing Big Brother, with a ravenous appetite for all of the data on users that it can possibly hoover up.
Facebook is also quietly developing augmented-reality technology.More news: Curry sets playoff record as Warriors dominate Clippers
- TRACKING: Severe Weather possible on Sunday
- LeBron Ready To Recruit Another Star, Wants To Win With Lakers
- GOP College Group Apologizes for 'Domestic Terrorist' Email
- Google & Huawei could end up paying $400 to Nexus 6P users
- Epic Games Has Reportedly Hired Infinity Ward Co-Founder Jason West
- Trump considered nominating daughter Ivanka for head of World Bank
- Melon-Related Salmonella Outbreak Cases Occur In Minnesota, Wisconsin
- Amazon, Walmart trade barbs on taxes and wages
- GoT star Iain Glen to play Bruce Wayne in Titans series
- Disney Partners with Coca-Cola for Star Wars Galaxy's Edge