Albies, an All-Star in 2018, signed a 7-year, $35 million extension that can max out at $45 million over nine years thanks to two options for the Braves.
Atlanta Braves phenom Ozzie Albies looks on during batting practice with fellow Braves phenom Ronald Acuña Jr. It is conceivable that the Braves would lock him down again before reaching the option years.More news: United must be ‘killers’ to beat Barca - Pogba
A NL All-Star in his first full season a year ago, Albies hit.261 (167-for-639) with 40 doubles, 24 home runs, 105 runs scored, and 14 stolen bases in 2018.
The 22-year-old has quickly become one of the top players at his position since debuting in the big leagues, authoring a career slash line of.272/.323/.456 with 31 home runs, 102 RBIs, and 24 steals in 226 games. As a result of his impressive season, Albies was selected to the NL All-Star team roster in 2018. Albies is making $575,000 this season as part of his rookie contract, and wouldn't have been eligible for arbitration for another two seasons.
With teams showing an unprecedented reluctance to sign free agents to long-term deals, young stars are resorting to early contract extensions worth tens of millions less to ensure their financial futures are secured. With this new deal, however, he'll make an average of $5 million a year up until his age-28 season, with options to extend the deal for a further two years.More news: Utterly Class Lomachenko Floors Crolla With Fourth Round Crushing KO
With 2019 just getting underway, Albies only has 44 at-bats on the year where he has slashed.364/.429/.500 with a.929 OPS. "And I took it because I want my family to be safe".
"We're more than best friends, we're brothers", said Albies, per insider Dave O'Brien. If the extensions are picked up, the deal could last through the 2027 season.More news: Barcelona rest Messi ahead of Manchester United rematch
- Polesitter Bottas wary of Ferrari threat, despite Mercedes qualifying advantage
- Why Tiger Woods Is Wearing A Mock Turtleneck At The Masters
- Avicii’s ‘fingerprints literally across entirety’ of new song
- India marks colonial massacre centenary, Britain makes no apology
- Curry exits with injury, should be fine for Game 1
- Monster Hunter World and Resident Evil 5 heading to Xbox Game Pass
- Stratolaunch plane makes first flight
- ICC Rejects Request for Investigation Into U.S. ‘War Crimes’ in Afghanistan
- Child Possibly Thrown or Pushed from Balcony at MOA, Suspect in Custody
- Molinari leads by 2 entering Masters' final round