"These funds will be used to support DHS's request to build 57 miles of 18-foot-high pedestrian fencing, constructing and improving roads, and installing lighting within the Yuma and El Paso Sectors of the border in support of the February 15 national emergency declaration on the southern border of the United States", defense officials said in a statement.
Shanahan said late on Monday in a memo to Secretary of Homeland Security Kirstjen Nielsen that the Department of Defense had the authority to support counter-narcotics activities near worldwide boundaries.More news: NASA says NO to first all-female space walk - chooses MAN instead
The US military would be coordinating its efforts with the Department of Homeland Security and the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) agency.
Acting Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan said in a memo to Secretary of Homeland Security Kirstjen Nielsen that the Department of Defense had the authority to support counter-narcotics activities near global boundaries. In allocating the means, the Pentagon follows the provision of the U.S. law that allows it to engage in border wall construction to "block drug smuggling corridors across the worldwide boundaries of the United States".
"We strongly object to both the substance of the funding transfer, and to the Department implementing the transfer without seeking the approval of the congressional defense committees and in violation of provisions in the defense appropriation itself", the senators wrote, according to CNN.More news: Purdue vs Villanova Live Stream Reddit for NCAA Tournament
The Defense Department informed Congress last week that hundreds of military construction projects may be cut or delayed to fund the wall's construction.
In response, Trump declared a national emergency last month, clearing the way for the president to take money from the Pentagon's construction budget and drug forfeitures and use it for wall construction.More news: Priyanka Chopra planning Sophie Turner and Joe Jonas’ grand wedding?
- BJP alleges 'bluff & fraud' after Cong minimum income promise
- Ander Herrera responds to speculation about his Manchester United future
- Jacinda Ardern Opens Up About The Christchurch Attacks On 'The Project'
- Battlefield V's 2019 Roadmap Unveiled, Firestorm Goes Live Today
- Krispy Kreme owners admit family history of Nazi ties
- Portugal draw and Ronaldo suffers injury
- Five things we've learned about the Mueller report
- United Nations probe indicates U.S. air raid killed 13 civilians
- Lindsey Graham Vows to Investigate Anti-Trump Bias in Special Counsel Probe
- All the important stuff from Apple's services event (+)