The doctors said that Zeng had an infection when she was brought to the hospital and she was really close from having multiple organ failures.
She admitted herself to the Affiliated Hospital of Xiangnan University in Hunan on February 22, where she received emergency treatment.
Chinese woman nearly dies after injecting herself with fruit juice
51-year-old Zeng had an interest in unconventional health treatments, and on 22 February, she made a smoothie from 20 fruits and chose to inject the smoothie directly into her veins by using an infusion drip.
The woman said she injected the fruits because she wanted an "immediate result from them" and said she didn't think they'd be harmful because they were fresh. She believed the nutrients of the juice could be better absorbed by her body this way.More news: New Poll: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez unpopular among New Yorkers
The first symptoms she experienced were itchy skin and a rising body temperature. Later in the evening, her husband noticed her increasing discomfort and took her straight to the hospital after finding out about the infusion.
Thankfully the team at the hospital nursed the 51-year-old back to health after putting her on dialysis, and giving her antibiotics and anti-clotting medicine.More news: Markets Right Now: Stocks extend their gains on Wall Street
"I had no idea it would get me into such trouble".
Zeng ended up in the intensive care unit, where she would spend the next several days, according to Xiaoxiang Morning News. The hashtag #OldWomanPutsJuiceIntoVeins was used by more than 11,000 users on the site to discuss the freakish incident, according to the BBC.More news: Qualcomm announces QCS400 SoC series for smart speakers and soundbars
One person commented: "She who knows not fears not! I admire her courage as well as her intelligence!" one Weibo user wrote, Asia One reported.
- These are the new Apple Watch bands coming to Malaysia
- Meet COD Mobile: A New Challenger for PUBG-M from Activision
- The Premier League might just have handed the title to Liverpool
- Robert Pattinson & Elizabeth Debicki to Star in Christopher Nolan's Next Movie
- England could face water shortages within 25 years
- Sophie Turner Chugs Wine on Jumbrotron at Rangers Game
- Opera for Android 51 Now Available with Built-in Free VPN
- Iran denies hacking phone of Israeli election frontrunner
- Prince Harry, Meghan pay respects for New Zealand shooting victims
- Fire spreads at a Houston-area petrochemicals terminal