No, this is not the Onion.
Andrew McDaniel proposed legislation that would require every citizen of the state to own an AR-15.
McDaniel also introduced a separate House Bill two days before HB-1108 that would require state residents to own a hand gun.More news: Australia senator egged after Christchurch terror attack comments
"From alcohol-fueled bar fights, to advancing legislation that would allow anyone to carry a concealed weapon anywhere from bars to daycares, to mandating gun ownership with a tax subsidy for gun manufacturers, the Missouri GOP rarely wastes an opportunity to embarrass themselves or our state", the Missouri Democratic Party said in a written statement.
If it passes, the bill would require all adults ages 18 to 35 who can legally possess a firearm to own an AR-15 by August 28, 2020.
Gun shop owner Jeff Binkley displays AR-15 "Sport" rifles at Sarge's Sidearms on September 29, 2016 in Benson, Arizona. Should the bill actually move forward, the lawmaker would strip out the other aspects of the bill and focus on the tax credits, Fox4KC reported.More news: HEXO Pays about $260 Million to Acquire Newstrike Brands
Still, it's not clear what would happen to residents refusing to get strapped, as neither bill addresses penalties for those who do not dutifully go gun shopping. "Any resident qualifies as a resident after August 28, 2019, and does not own an AR-15 shall purchase an AR-15 no later than one year after qualifying as a resident", language in the bill states. Yet there's no precise way to know how many would be legally barred from participating, much less how many Missourians already have an AR-15. We're guessing that $1 million tax credit would be exhausted quickly.
According to the Missouri House of Representatives website, a hearing on the bill has not been scheduled and it is not now on a House calendar. The National Rifle Association didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.More news: Tyler 'Ninja' Blevins Reportedly Paid $1M by EA to Stream Apex Legends
- Wall Street near flat as trade deal outlook uncertain
- Amazon Fireplace TV lastly will get Apple Music streaming
- Court lets families sue gun maker for Sandy Hook school massacre
- Love Island's Michael Thalassitis has died, aged 26
- Jurgen Klopp predicts Reds won't spend big this summer
- President Donald Trump meets Arlene Foster in Washington
- Kylie Jenner Reveals The Name She ALMOST Picked For Daughter Stormi!
- Chaotic scenes as Nigel Farage leads 'Brexit betrayal' march
- Franky Cali killing brings back fears of mob violence in NY
- China hits back at 'prejudiced' U.S. with own rights criticism