Manziel was suspended by the NFL in 2016 for violating the league's substance abuse policy, but never pursued playing in the league again. He will now go through the league's waiver system, as the San Antonio Commanders released his allocation rights. He's their second quarterback this season, after the team started with Christian Hackenberg but later benched the former Penn State quarterback. The Express lost to the Salt Lake Stallions 22-9 in Week 6, losing quarterback Zach Mettenberger to an apparent ankle injury on their first offensive play. Brandon Silvers played the majority of the game, completing 23 of 37 passes for 242 yards, a touchdown and no interceptions.
The statement from the Alliance said that Manziel "will report to Memphis tomorrow, where we all believe he'll benefit from the coaching and mentorship of Mike Singletary".
Johnny Manziel has signed a player agreement with the AAF and will join the Memphis Express, according to a release from the Alliance.More news: New Zealand terrorist who killed 50 'visited' Britain during 'radicalisation tour'
He immediately becomes one of the biggest names in the AAF as one of its few former National Football League first-round picks, notably among them Birmingham running back Trent Richardson.
CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie announced in December 2017 that the league would approve a contract for Manziel, who at the time was on the Tiger-Cats' negotiation list.
The agreement is a three-year deal worth $250,000. However, players can earn more in incentives.More news: Love Island's Michael Thalassitis has died, aged 26
Manziel will be immediately eligible to play for the Express, an AAF spokesperson said. He was arrested in 2016 on a domestic violence charge, which was later dropped in exchange for his undergoing counseling. In a recent interview, he said he has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and has stopped drinking. He entered the 2013 National Football League draft, and was selected No. 22 overall by the Browns.
He played just two seasons with the team before he was released.More news: Iranian Official Condemns Israeli Attacks on Gaza Strip
- Video shows Chelsea Clinton berated for her 'rhetoric' for causing mosque shootings
- Jurgen Klopp predicts Reds won't spend big this summer
- Volkswagen CEO apologises for alluding to Nazi slogan
- China's property investment rises 11.6% y-o-y in Jan-Feb
- Flash flood emergency forces evacuations in areas west of Omaha, Nebraska
- Court lets families sue gun maker for Sandy Hook school massacre
- Iranian human rights lawyer sentenced to 38 years in prison, 148 lashes
- China hits back at 'prejudiced' U.S. with own rights criticism
- Missouri lawmaker says bill requiring AR-15s makes 'point on mandates'
- Kylie Jenner Reveals The Name She ALMOST Picked For Daughter Stormi!