Thiem has lost both of his prior matches against Raonic, who ended the dream run of lucky loser Miomir Kecmanovic, beating the 19-year-old Serbian 6-3, 6-4.
Raonic will face the victor of a match between No. 18 seed Gael Monfils of France and No. 7 seed Dominic Thiem of Austria in a semifinal.
"A lot of my injuries people think it was because I was lazy or not doing the job, and I always tell them that, you know, it's part of luck sometime", he said.
Bencic next plays the victor of Thursday's match between No. 8 Angelique Kerber and Venus Williams. "I have this pain, and it wasn't the right choice to play". "She has nothing to lose, she enjoys her tennis and she's a great player", Kerber said of the teenager.More news: Malaysia: Won't Drop Case Against Vietnamese in Kim Murder
"I was really surprised", Thiem said, who was waiting to be taken to the court when he realized there was a problem".
Though she lost serve to begin the second set, Kerber rebounded immediately as the two traded breaks twice in the second set, before she won the last three games to seal the match and her spot in the final. I'm just trying to play.
Bencic won her third career title at Dubai last month and her first since 2015.
"I played the best I could here", she said.
Williams fought off two break points to tie the second set 2-all before Kerber again won three games in arrow for a 5-2 lead.More news: Nancy Pelosi Boots Mike Pence From His House Office
Bencic could have made life easier for herself against Pliskova but only managed to convert four of her 16 break points against the Czech's serve.
Kerber has won the last three meetings against Bencic, and all six matches overall have been decided in six straight sets.
Elsewhere, Canadian Bianca Andreescu and Elina Svitolina of Ukraine are scheduled to play in the other semi-final on Saturday.
"When you're confident, you can really just trust your instincts and you don't have to think about it at all", Bencic said.
In the semi-final, she is set to face in-form Belinda Bencic of Switzerland, who reached this stage after a 12-match winning streak, including a quarter-final win over Karolína Plíšková.More news: Opposition accuses Liberals of 'coverup' at justice committee
- New Zealand shooting: Brenton Tarrant called for attack on 'invader' Sadiq Khan
- 'Disgusting': Politician Denounced for Blaming Mosque Shootings - Which Killed 49 - on Muslims
- Federer, Nadal, steam into Indian Wells quarter-finals
- Chicago Bears sign Ha Ha Clinton-Dix: Grade, reaction and more
- Tyreek Hill, Chiefs wide receiver, under investigation for incident involving son
- Barefoot, Handcuffed, New Zealand Shooter Smirks In Court
- Bryce Harper hit by pitch in foot, leaves game
- Google jumps on the foldable phone bandwagon, files patent
- Federation Internationale de Football Association to explore expanding 2022 World Cup from 32 to 48 teams
- European Union extends sanctions on Russian individuals, blacklisting another eight officials