The Spaniard's right knee flared up in the second set of his 7-6 (2), 7-6 (2) victory over Karen Khachanov in Friday's quarterfinals.
Federer, a 20-time Grand Slam champion who captured his 100th career title at Dubai last month, overcame breezy conditions on stadium court and a hungry Hurkacz - a 22-year-old ranked 67th in the world who was playing in his first Masters 1000 quarter-final and just the second quarter-final of his career.More news: Game of Thrones Final Season Episode Runtimes Are Shorter Than You Thought
"The way we go about it is very different, yet we both find a way to excel", Federer said.
The match will mark the 39th time the two legends play one another, but it'll be their first meeting since Shanghai 2017. I'm very excited to be in the semis here.
Nadal now leads 23-15 in their head-to-head, but Federer has won the last five of their meetings.More news: Beto O'Rourke: Punk from El Paso joins 2020 race
Nadal, too, says the contrast in styles, coupled with the pair's sheer longevity, makes every meeting something to treasure.
"It's tough for me to accept all these things that I'm going through in my career". On having won the last five matches played against Nadal, Federer added: "I don't think those five matches matter that much, to be honest". He's at a higher level than he was at the Australian Open. "Of course my goal and my idea is to be ready for tomorrow", Nadal said.More news: Tyler 'Ninja' Blevins Reportedly Paid $1M by EA to Stream Apex Legends
- President Donald Trump meets Arlene Foster in Washington
- Android Q will break clipboard manager apps
- New Zealand Shooter Planned to Continue Attack When Police Caught Him - PM
- No Man's Sky 'Beyond' update announced
- ‘Left 4 Dead’ Dev Reveals New Co-Op Game ‘Back 4 Blood’
- Bloody Sunday: Derry awaits decision on 1972 killings
- Wall Street near flat as trade deal outlook uncertain
- Eddie Jones taunts Scotland over Twickenham barren run
- Conservative Party split down the middle as Parliament votes to delay Brexit
- Huawei Watch GT with 2-Week Battery Life Launched in India