"When you're picking a squad, there's got to be an element of what the players are doing with their clubs and what they have done with us".
Southgate has named a 25-man squad for the Euro 2020 double-header, with West Ham midfielder Rice, as expected, the headline inclusion.
Rice was born and raised in Kingston-upon-Thames, just outside of London, although the fact his mother's parents are from the Republic of Ireland meant he was also eligible to play for the Republic and he made three appearances for them before deciding to switch allegiance to England in February.
West Ham United midfielder and FAI Young Player of the Year Declan Rice is the only uncapped player called up to the squad after a season which has seen him impress hugely in Manuel Pellegrini's midfield.More news: Malaysia: Won't Drop Case Against Vietnamese in Kim Murder
"It's increasingly the case, if you look at our under 16s over 50 percent of them have dual nationality and some could play for more than two countries", he said. But his form has been excellent.
"When you are asking a player to transfer allegiance, they have to feel they have a future, but also there are no guarantees". We like what we've seen in terms of his personality, his character and his leadership qualities.
None of those matches were competitive fixtures, however, and Gareth Southgate has opted to pick the English-born 20-year-old in his squad for the game against the Czechs at Wembley on March 22 and the trip to Montenegro three days later.More news: Workers on Bernie Sanders' 2020 campaign have unionized
On Ward-Prowse: "We prove Prowsey - this recent spell is his best since we capped him and he's a world-class set-piece taker, but he's only recently got back in the Southampton team".
"For me it was easy, I could only play for England, so there was no question in my mind, and for lots of people that commented that was the same".
The Football Association of Ireland announced Tuesday that Rice was the country's young player of the year, saying he would still receive the award because it "maintains the integrity of the voting process".
"Jordan has played extremely well for us", Southgate added.More news: Bangladesh cricket team escape shooting at Christchurch mosque
"We have always tried to look at that as ethically as we can".
- Game of Thrones Final Season Episode Runtimes Are Shorter Than You Thought
- US looks to test ground-launched cruise missile in August
- What can Arsenal expect from Napoli in the Europa League quarter-finals?
- 'The Sopranos' Prequel Movie Gets a New Title, Release Date in 2020
- Jones claims Wales look exhausted ahead of decisive Six Nations Saturday
- Strip club visit listed among alleged Georgia Tech recruiting violations
- Huawei Watch GT with 2-Week Battery Life Launched in India
- Beto O'Rourke: Punk from El Paso joins 2020 race
- News FIA F1 Race Director Charlie Whiting passes away
- Duke Vs. North Carolina Live Stream