As well as a clamshell-style unit (Fig.2), we also see what looks like a Z-folding approach (Fig.3), and possibly what taking a selfie or video calling may look like on the unit (the first image).
Google jumps on the foldable phone bandwagon, files patent
Titled Foldable display neutral axis management with thin, high modulus layers, the application was submitted with WIPO last June and published in mid-December. However, Google is also looking at the possibility of folding a display around two hinges, that would give the device a "Z-fold" aspect.
But boy is that a big if. Its Pixel phones are no doubt safe, but the Pixelbook series, and perhaps new prospects like a Google foldable, may not survive the restructure.
The patent does not mention the word "phone" even once, instead it refers to how the display could be used by "modern computing devices" which could refer to tablets or laptops, The Verge reported on Thursday.More news: Chicago Bears sign Ha Ha Clinton-Dix: Grade, reaction and more
Samsung's Galaxy Fold made a splash at Unpacked in February. For a foldable Pixel phone, Google would have to order screens from Samsung, LG, and other display makers that can make foldable/flexible OLED panels.
It should come as no surprise that Google is diving deep into gaming.
Are these 5G phones the future of mobiles? Its Pixel phones have been slow to adopt multiple cameras and to shrink their bezels, unlike its major competitors.More news: Patriots reportedly were outbid by Titans for Adam Humphries
It can be hard to create foldable top-emitting plastic OLED displays that have a small folding radius in both directions (i.e., having two surfaces of the display fold both towards each other and away from each other) and that can survive many fold-unfold cycles.More news: Turkey urges Saudi Arabia to name suspects on trial for Khashoggi's murder
- Manchester United's Solskjaer Lukaku a doubt for Wolves clash
- Huawei has developed own operating system for smartphones and PCs
- Trump issues first veto of his presidency, continuing border 'emergency'
- Ravens rebound to secure RB Ingram, FS Thomas as free agents
- Cameron Wake agrees to three-year deal with Titans
- Former NYPD Commissioner Calls for Obstruction Investigation into Clinton Email Probe
- WR DeVante Parker gets another chance with Dolphins
- Alia Bhatt makes an exciting announcement on her birthday
- Liberals must let Wilson-Raybould come back to committee, opposition says
- Dolphins' QB situation murkier after Ryan Tannehill dealt to Titans