This photo made available by the Italian Police in 2008 shows Francesco "Franky Boy" Cali.
A man has been arrested in New Jersey in connection with the killing of Francesco Cali, a reputed boss of a NY crime family, a broadcast new report said Saturday.
It was Rudy Giuliani's prosecution of the Gambinos and other mob families that led to his election as New York City mayor. "Was the person paid to do it?"More news: LSU’s loss to Florida helps Vols in Championship Game
Cali, 53, was shot six times in the chest by a gunman in a blue pickup truck on Hilltop Terrace near Four Corners Road in Todt Hill about 9:15 p.m. Medics took him to Staten Island University Hospital, where he died.
Shea said police have recovered the truck but have not recovered the gun used in the murder. For one, a 24-year-old man from Brick, New Jersey has already been arrested in connection with the murder. The shooting outside Cali's home, the source said, suggests the killing was meant to send an ominous message.
The Gambino family was once among the most powerful criminal organizations in the US, but federal prosecutions in the 1980s and 1990s sent its top leaders to prison and diminished its reach. News accounts since 2015 said he had ascended to the top spot. Cali was convicted in an extortion scheme in the late 2000s and served 16 months in federal prison.More news: Australia senator egged after Christchurch terror attack comments
Police fear the murder of Cali will provoke revenge attacks.
Crime Scene investigators work at the scene where, reported New York Mafia Gambino family crime boss, Francesco "Franky Boy" Cali, was killed outside his home in the Staten Island borough of New York City, U.S., March 14, 2019.More news: Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal to clash in Indian Wells semi-final
- Eddie Jones taunts Scotland over Twickenham barren run
- World reacts with sadness and anger to New Zealand mosque attacks
- ‘Left 4 Dead’ Dev Reveals New Co-Op Game ‘Back 4 Blood’
- Jurgen Klopp predicts Reds won't spend big this summer
- Trump fails to end 'Apprentice' contestant's defamation lawsuit
- Christchurch attacker meant to continue rampage when arrested: PM Ardern
- 'Bomb Cyclone' Pushes East Across the U.S., Flood Risks Remain
- No Man's Sky 'Beyond' update announced
- Kylie Jenner Reveals The Name She ALMOST Picked For Daughter Stormi!
- Court lets families sue gun maker for Sandy Hook school massacre