Using a special GOES-East satellite product typically used to differentiate snow cover from low clouds and fog, the river flooding stands out even better, particularly the widespread flooding of the Missouri River north of Omaha.
The National Weather Service has issued a flood warning, as rain and melting snow cause the Saginaw River in Saginaw and the Tittabawassee River in Midland to rise. The state's emergency operations center has already been activated.
Rochdale News | News Headlines | Possible flood warning issued for Saturday
The National Weather Service predicts "much calmer" weather in most areas this weekend, . Meteorologist Brian Pierce with the National Weather Service's Quad Cities office in Davenport, Iowa, said flooding on the MS could get worse a few weeks as more snow melts in Minnesota and Wisconsin. The latest river forecasts predict the Turkey River will crest at 5.5 feet above flood stage in Spillville and at 11 feet above flood stage, with the crests coming on Friday.
I-35 N from Kansas City to I-80 West in Des Moines to I-29 near the Council Bluffs/Omaha metro area and vice-versa until further notice.More news: New data suggest eggs increase risk of heart attacks and strokes
Those north of the United States 71 junction can continue to Rock Port and take USA 136 East to U.S. 71 North to I-35. The story is much the same throughout the central USA, where flooding swamped small towns, forced residents to evacuate, and threatened to temporarily close a nuclear power plant in Nebraska.
The storm's heavy rainfall has caused major flooding and damaged roads and bridges in Iowa, Nebraska and Missouri. Check other states' routes as well as Missouri's. Flood coordinators are advised to monitor conditions along River Drive (south of Caledonia), Sims Lock Road, Grand Sports Road as well as the communities of Cayuga and Port Maitland. Water in that location is now subsiding, but only after a portion of the city was submerged. Please don't get stuck and certainly, do not enter floodwaters. Do not place yourself at risk.More news: Chronic kidney disease on the rise in Cayman
More news: Eddie Jones taunts Scotland over Twickenham barren run
- Cyclone Idai: Many dead in Zimbabwe and Mozambique
- Trump fails to end 'Apprentice' contestant's defamation lawsuit
- LSU’s loss to Florida helps Vols in Championship Game
- 'Bomb Cyclone' Pushes East Across the U.S., Flood Risks Remain
- Christchurch attacker meant to continue rampage when arrested: PM Ardern
- Australia senator egged after Christchurch terror attack comments
- Jurgen Klopp predicts Reds won't spend big this summer
- ‘Left 4 Dead’ Dev Reveals New Co-Op Game ‘Back 4 Blood’
- Alleged Gambino Crime Boss Shot, Killed Outside Staten Island Home
- Kylie Jenner Reveals The Name She ALMOST Picked For Daughter Stormi!