One of O'Rourke's former border colleagues, U.S. Rep. Filemon Vela, D-Brownsville, said he was glad to see O'Rourke in the race.
However, O'Rourke didn't expand on the issue in his response to Trump's critique.
Sen. Amy Klobuchar welcomed Beto O'Rourke to the 2020 presidential race on Thursday, telling CNN's Poppy Harlow in an interview that she believes more competition in the Democratic primary is good for the party and that she isn't anxious about the former congressman's fundraising prowess.More news: Strip club visit listed among alleged Georgia Tech recruiting violations
"I think that competition is good in our party", the senator from Minnesota said, telling Harlow that former President Barack Obama has been telling 2020 candidates that he believes the more the merrier in the nomination fight.
"We can free ourselves from the distinction of being the country that imprisons more of its fellow citizens than any other country on the face of the planet", O'Rourke said. Elizabeth Warren and former Housing and Urban Development Secretary Julian Castro, have spoken of the need for the USA government to reckon with and make up for centuries of stolen labor and legal oppression. A recent ad by the Club for Growth described O'Rourke's pushing a redevelopment scheme "to bulldoze a poor Hispanic neighborhood", the Post reported. Included on the Castro endorsement list were state Sens.
O'Rourke narrowly lost a senate campaign to Sen.More news: US looks to test ground-launched cruise missile in August
Mr O'Rourke, 46, gave up his seat in the House of Representatives for his attempt to oust Ted Cruz from the Senate in last year's midterm elections, coming within three points of the incumbent in a traditionally Republican state.
O'Rourke spent recent months at home in El Paso with family, driving through the Midwest and journaling about it online and a few public appearances, such as a Metallica concert and leading a rally outside a President Trump rally in El Paso. "I think people want us to rise above the pettiness, the smallness", O'Rourke told CNN at a later Thursday campaign stop in Burlington, Iowa. "He asked about: What will this do to my family?"More news: Workers on Bernie Sanders' 2020 campaign have unionized
- Federer, Nadal, steam into Indian Wells quarter-finals
- European Union extends sanctions on Russian individuals, blacklisting another eight officials
- Bloody Sunday: Derry awaits decision on 1972 killings
- 'Disgusting': Politician Denounced for Blaming Mosque Shootings - Which Killed 49 - on Muslims
- Bangladesh cricket team escape shooting at Christchurch mosque
- Opposition accuses Liberals of 'coverup' at justice committee
- Hammond talks up United Kingdom economy despite Brexit 'cloud'
- Rice reveals he's 'proud and honoured' to get England call up
- Kennedy will not be retained as A&M men's basketball head coach
- Huawei Watch GT with 2-Week Battery Life Launched in India