A teenager who was injured during a shooting inside the Raul Brasil State School, is carried on a gurney into a hospital, in Suzano, Brazil, March 13, 2019.
Two young men, wearing hoods and carrying several weapons, opened fire at a school in southern Brazil on Wednesday, killing eight people before taking their own lives, the governor of Sao Paulo said. They were both former students at the school, Monteiro being enrolled as recently as previous year.
The men, identified as former students at the school, also shot and killed the owner of a used auto business nearby before launching the attack on the school, officials said.
The shooters arrived at the school during the lunch break, police said.More news: Paul Scholes resigns as Oldham manager
Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro tweeted his sympathies for the victims and their families, calling the crime "a monstrosity and cowardness without equal".
Security cameras from homes near the school showed children climbing and jumping over a wall that surrounds the Raul Brasil building, and sprinting down streets, screaming for help.
She said the attackers had guns and knives, and when she ran to the principal's office, she saw many dead people.
The reports of a school shooting in Brazil are similar to those that have become common in the United States. It was not immediately clear whether the two incidents were linked.More news: James Harden: Rockets star makes ‘aggressive’ Steph Curry claim after Warriors loss
He said it was not yet known whether the assailants were former pupils at the school. One student was shot in the back and another had suffered injuries to a knee.
Salles said the gunmen used at least one.38 caliber pistol and speed loaders, along with a crossbow and a compound bow and arrow.
The wounded student who took shelter in her house could not speak.
"I have just received the sad news that children were cruelly murdered in the state school Professor Raul Brasil, in Suzano".More news: Trump says Europe is 'being ripped apart' by Brexit
- Floods kill 66 in Mozambique
- Djokovic, Osaka, Halep all ousted at Indian Wells
- English success in Champions League could make Nations League 'mess' - Southgate
- Supreme Court revokes the lifetime ban on S Sreesanth
- Kylie Jenner Originally Wanted to Name Stormi Something *Very* Off Brand
- Best to worst dressed at the 2019 iHeart Radio Awards
- Zidane closes the door on James Rodríguez＇s return to Real Madrid
- Turkey, Israel row deepens as Erdogan, Netanyahu trade insults
- Felicite Tomlinson: Instagram influencer dies aged 18
- Kuwait falls in quality of living