And network access will initially work with just one phone, Motorola's Moto Z3, with a special 5G attachment. The plans are "unlimited" in the sense that customers don't have to pay overage fees for going over the limits. As someone not from Chicago, you'll have to tell me if that's a big area or not. For now, the Moto Z3 and its 5G Moto Mod. Of course, you'll need a compatible phone and there are none at this point.
In Chicago, that will mean 5G service in The Loop, Magnificent Mile, The Gold Coast, River North, and Old Town. In Minneapolis, the initial coverage areas are Downtown West, Downtown East, Elliot Park and close to the Verizon store in the Mall of America. Samsung will eventually launch Galaxy S10 5G as a timed Verizon exclusive, but that won't be arriving until sometime this summer.More news: Major Winter Storm Grounds Flights, Closes Parts Of Interstates
Come April 11, customers in the first two 5G Ultra Wideband mobility cities will be able to experience all the benefits of this "true" next-gen network, including "ultra-fast wireless speeds" enabling movie downloads and streaming "in seconds", as well as "ultra-low latency" allowing "business customers to video conference and collaborate remotely in near real time". Buy it later, and you'll have to pay $349.99. With the mobile launch, Verizon is switching to 5G NR.
"If adding 5G service is a significant step-up from 4G, then $10 is a reasonable customer expectation", King said. "While we have been clear that 5G service will be a significant [upgrade] over 4G LTE when it comes to speed and latency, we'll provide expected network performance information closer to launch". If you want one, the 5G Moto Mod will go up for pre-order on March 14 for $50. The retail price for the Mod is $350.More news: Google Agreed To Pay Execs Accused Of Sexual Harassment $192 Million
The largest US wireless carrier by subscribers will offer the device for $50 initially and its customers would not have to pay for 5G use for the first three months. More information on the Motorola phone and 5G device is available at this Verizon FAQ.
The Motorola 5G Moto Mod packs Qualcomm's Snapdragon 855 SoC that is used to boot the company's X50 modem, the key enabler of the developer's 5G platform.More news: Kirsten Gillibrand defends handling of sexual harassment allegations
- YouTube Music Launches in India: Everything You Need to Know
- Brexit hangs in balance over tweaked deal
- Michael Cohen not in trouble for misleading committee, House chairman says
- North Korea election sees 99.99% turnout - KCNA
- Busch wins at Phoenix, closes in on milestone
- NASA's new rocket won't be ready for moon shot next year
- Court reinstates Aaron Hernandez's murder charge
- U.S.'s Bolton says Pakistan committed to easing tensions with India
- Family affair! Jennifer Lopez and Alex Rodriguez’s kids helped with proposal
- Nancy Pelosi says impeaching Donald Trump 'just not worth it'