In 2015, Cali was named boss, replacing 68-year-old Domenico Cefalu, who was forced to step down due to old age, New York Daily News and USA Today reported.
Paramedics transported Cali to Staten Island University North hospital after responding to the home at 9:17 p.m.
Witnesses said Cali's killer shot him at least six times and then ran him over before fleeing the scene.
"The man was on the ground face-up". His head was by his SUV, and the truck was open'.More news: 'King Leo' - Fans react to Lionel Messi's heroic performance
He was charged in a massive 80-count racketeering indictment involving 62 alleged mob bosses, underlings and associates of the Gambino, Bonanno and Genovese crime families.
Cali, who was known throughout his life as "Franky Boy", is the nephew-in-law of Sicilian mobster John Gambino and had close ties to the Sicilian Mafia family led by Salvatore Inzerillo.
According to reports, Cali's death marks the highest ranking member of a NY crime family to be murdered in decades.
Cali himself was jailed for 16 months for his connection to an extortion scheme surrounding an attempt to build a NASCAR track on Staten Island.More news: Several dead in Brazil school shooting
Castellano was killed on Gotti's orders, in what was seen to be a major break from Mafia protocol, which forbade the unsanctioned murder of a family head.
The Gambinos" rise to become one of the most powerful mafia families in America started in 1957, when the family's namesake, Carlos Gambino - an Italian immigrant - orchestrated the murder of Albert Anastasia, who had organized a collection of Italian gangs into what now would be considered a "crime family'. Paul Castellano also owned a home there.
Gotti's reign came to an end when his underboss, Sammy "The Bull" Gravano agreed to testify against him and other members of the family in a 1992 RICO trial.More news: New Zealand calls for vaccination against measles following outbreak
- Ethiopian Airlines crash: Six charts on what we know so far
- Murray throws at his pro day, meets with Giants
- An Eye Doctor may help diagnose Alzheimer’s before its symptoms
- Mahatma Gandhi wanted Congress disbanded, claims PM Modi
- Drugs Put a Stop to Judgment Sales in Asia
- Mercedes look to burst Ferrari’s bubble in Melbourne
- Facebook Facing Criminal Investigation Into Device Data Share Deals
- Chrome 73 finally supports dark mode on Mac
- Scientists Say AirPods May be Linked to Cancer
- Fortnite cross-play now pools players differently on consoles and mobile