In 2015, Cali was named boss, replacing 68-year-old Domenico Cefalu, who was forced to step down due to old age, New York Daily News and USA Today reported.
Paramedics transported Cali to Staten Island University North hospital after responding to the home at 9:17 p.m.
Witnesses said Cali's killer shot him at least six times and then ran him over before fleeing the scene.
"The man was on the ground face-up". His head was by his SUV, and the truck was open'.More news: Mahatma Gandhi wanted Congress disbanded, claims PM Modi
He was charged in a massive 80-count racketeering indictment involving 62 alleged mob bosses, underlings and associates of the Gambino, Bonanno and Genovese crime families.
Cali, who was known throughout his life as "Franky Boy", is the nephew-in-law of Sicilian mobster John Gambino and had close ties to the Sicilian Mafia family led by Salvatore Inzerillo.
According to reports, Cali's death marks the highest ranking member of a NY crime family to be murdered in decades.
Cali himself was jailed for 16 months for his connection to an extortion scheme surrounding an attempt to build a NASCAR track on Staten Island.More news: New Zealand calls for vaccination against measles following outbreak
Castellano was killed on Gotti's orders, in what was seen to be a major break from Mafia protocol, which forbade the unsanctioned murder of a family head.
The Gambinos" rise to become one of the most powerful mafia families in America started in 1957, when the family's namesake, Carlos Gambino - an Italian immigrant - orchestrated the murder of Albert Anastasia, who had organized a collection of Italian gangs into what now would be considered a "crime family'. Paul Castellano also owned a home there.
Gotti's reign came to an end when his underboss, Sammy "The Bull" Gravano agreed to testify against him and other members of the family in a 1992 RICO trial.More news: Spotify Hits Apple With Antitrust Complaint in Europe Over App Store
- Ethiopian Airlines crash: Six charts on what we know so far
- Several dead in Brazil school shooting
- Ethiopian Airlines flight to Nairobi crashes with 157 people on board
- Drugs Put a Stop to Judgment Sales in Asia
- Chrome 73 finally supports dark mode on Mac
- Android Q Beta Ready for Pixel Phones
- China's dissent on Azhar counters mutual goals
- Odell Beckham Jr was 'a little surprised' by trade to Browns
- K-pop star quits over secret sex videos
- UK, EU announce change to Brexit deal ahead of key vote