As per ANI, a chargesheet has been filed in Alipore police court against Shami under IPC 498A (dowry harassment) and 354A (sexual harassment).
News of the cricketer's marital discord became public past year when his wife Jahan, a former model, took to Facebook to accuse him of domestic violence and extra-marital affairs with a number of women. Hasin Jahan had even levelled match fixing accusations against Shami following which he was omitted from the central contracts list by the BCCI pending investigations. However, in some temporary relief to the cricketer, the police dropped the more serious charges that were registered in the FIR including sections 307 (attempt to murder), and 376 (punishment for rape) besides criminal intimidation. She had produced screenshots of Shami's alleged conversation with his girlfriend, who, according to Jahan, he had met in Dubai.More news: Pizza Pizza Offering Super Cheap Deals At Restaurants Across Canada Tomorrow
India pacer Mohammed Shami was charged by Kolkata Police in dowry and sexual harassment cases on Thursday. In her complaint, she had accused Shami of torture, physical abuse and mental harassment.
Shami was soon cleared of corruption charges by the BCCI and offered an annual retainership contract by the world's richest cricket board.More news: Real Madrid to sign Porto's Militao in 50m euros deal
Shami, who picked up five wickets in four matches in recently-concluded ODI series against Australia, will be participating in the Indian Premier League from next week with Kings XI Punjab.More news: One soldier to face prosecution — Bloody Sunday
- Apple Announces "It's Show Time" March 25th Event, Here's What to Expect
- You can now stream PC games to an Xbox One
- Dollar softer on U.S
- Final Avengers: Endgame Trailer Expected To Drop By The End Of March
- 'Empire' actor Jussie Smollett pleads not guilty
- Chiefs release oft-injured Berry after 8 seasons
- Kyle Busch Completes Weekend Sweep in Phoenix by Winning TicketGuardian 500
- Israel says uncovers Hezbollah unit led by notorious commander
- Retail Inflation Rises to Four-month High in February
- Steve Kerr laughs off lipreading criticism of Draymond Green