He said Washington remains open to further North Korea diplomacy aimed at four priorities: transforming relations, establishing a formal end to the Korean War, achieving the North's complete denuclearization, and returning the remains of thousands of US troops missing from the Korean War.
"It is a big gamble", said Dr Jenny Town, managing editor for the North Korea-focused 38 North website.
For the past 11 years, Japan has joined the European Union to jointly issue a motion to condemn human rights conditions in North Korea.More news: Former Ohio State coach Meyer joining Fox’s studio team | Columbus Ledger-Enquirer
The Hanoi summit fell apart due to disputes over how much sanctions relief North Korea should receive in return for limited nuclear disarmament steps.
He said this does not mean the USA position has hardened. "It wants early resumption of talks with the USA, but on better terms".
"Kim could use a launch to demonstrate at the 14th Supreme People's Assembly, probably in mid-April, that he has not been cowed by sanctions", said former United States negotiator Joel Wit, now the director of the respected 38 North website.
In his first public comments since President Donald Trump met with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un last month, envoy Stephen Biegun said "the missing variable" in making a deal is the North's unwillingness to offer complete, verifiable denuclearization.More news: U.S.'s Bolton says Pakistan committed to easing tensions with India
Beyond Parallel, an initiative of the Washington-based Center for Strategic & International Studies, on Tuesday published the photos in a report saying the Sohae facility, which had been inactive since August, was rapidly being rebuilt.
Images of the renewed activity follow their second summit in Hanoi at the end of last month.
"We see exactly what they're doing", he said.
North Korea has been banned by the UN Security Council from carrying out space launches, as some of its technology was similar to that used for intercontinental ballistic missiles, or ICBMs.More news: Highland MP renews calls for a People's Vote on European Union membership
His security policy adviser Moon Chung-in told the Kwanhun Club that the USA was more responsible than North Korea for failing to secure any deals at last month's meeting, blaming Bolton, specifically, though he said both Trump and Kim shared the blame as well, as the official Yonhap News Agency reported Tuesday. "I think Kim Jong Un has a very clear idea where the president stands".
- Busch wins at Phoenix, closes in on milestone
- Court reinstates Aaron Hernandez's murder charge
- Major Winter Storm Grounds Flights, Closes Parts Of Interstates
- Facebook, Whatsapp and Instagram are down for many
- Nancy Pelosi says impeaching Donald Trump 'just not worth it'
- #Trashtag: the eco-conscious social media challenge that's gone viral
- Michael Cohen not in trouble for misleading committee, House chairman says
- Trump criticizes California’s plans to place a moratorium on executions
- Family affair! Jennifer Lopez and Alex Rodriguez’s kids helped with proposal
- Trump blasts 'fake news' over Melania body double theory