The outbreak is the worst that the nation has seen in recent years and is likely to spread over the coming weeks.
The measles immunization rate for OH children ages 4 to 6 - children who have received the recommended two doses of MMR vaccine - is 92 percent, according to the Erie County Health Department statistics. The first dose is typically received by the children at the time when they turn 15 months old and the second dose is generally given to them when they reach the age of 4 years.More news: Spotify Hits Apple With Antitrust Complaint in Europe Over App Store
The number of recorded measles infections globally doubled to 229,000 a year ago, the World Health Organization (WHO) said in February.
The CDC says that adults who do not have evidence of immunity against measles can still get at least one dose of the MMR vaccine through their healthcare provider.
While children in OH schools are "required" to get vaccinations, the state is one of just 17 where law allows both "philosophical" and religious exceptions, allowing parents to opt out of vaccinations for their children.More news: Former Ohio State coach Meyer joining Fox’s studio team | Columbus Ledger-Enquirer
Another one or two out of 1,000 people with measles will die, even with medical treatment.
If your child has been immunized and still gets the virus, Shapiro said he or she won't get as sick a kid who was never vaccinated. Those aged between 29 and 50 will only have had one measles vaccination and are not considered immune.
The Canterbury district health board said in a statement, "Unimmunized people who come within two meters of an infectious person, however briefly, have a 90% chance of contracting measles". The department is "working directly with the case to identify potential contacts and make arrangements for follow up immunizations and care if necessary", officials said in a release.More news: Fiat Chrysler to Recall 862520 US Vehicles over Excess Emissions
- Beto Has Reportedly Been Working Behind The Scenes For 2020 Run
- Now, Vietnam wants Malaysia to free Kim Jong Nam murder suspect
- NASA's new rocket won't be ready for moon shot next year
- Brexit hangs in balance over tweaked deal
- North Korea election sees 99.99% turnout - KCNA
- K-pop star quits over secret sex videos
- Major Winter Storm Grounds Flights, Closes Parts Of Interstates
- YouTube Music Launches in India: Everything You Need to Know
- Verizon's 5G network is coming to Chicago and Minneapolis on April 11
- Collins to Redskins for 6 years, $84M