According to DownDetector, users all around the world are now experiencing problems with the platforms.
As of 8:34 p.m., a spokesperson for Facebook said the company had no updates to share.
Photo-sharing app Instagram announced it was back up and running, but users are still having difficulty accessing Facebook, according to Down Detector. While they have not publically identified the problem, they do say that it is not a dedicated denial of service attack.
"Facebook is down for required maintenance right now, but you should be able to get back on within a few minutes".More news: Air pollution killing almost as many people as smoking in Britain
Facebook took to Twitter to update users on the situation.
The issues for Facebook, Instagram and Facebook Messenger appear to be mostly affecting users in the USA, the United Kingdom and Brazil, while many WhatsApp error reports have come from Mexico and South America as well as Europe, according to the site.
Earlier today, a lot of Google services were down and lot of users couldn't access services like Google Drive, Hangouts and among others.
For our newsroom, the outage has been preventing any new posts to our Facebook page or responses to user comments.
The platforms weren't down for everyone, but many people were unable to access their profiles, with glitches in how the sites worked.More news: Kalank teaser: Alia Bhatt, Varun Dhawan starrer promises a classic epic romance
In a DDoS attack, hackers use computer networks they control to send such a large number of requests for information from websites that servers that host them can no longer handle the traffic and the sites become unreachable.
On its developer site, Facebook said: "We are now experiencing issues that may cause some API requests to take longer or fail unexpectedly".
The outages appear to be concentrated around the USA and Europe, as well as eastern Australia.
On the latest issue, Ms Brooker added on Twitter: "Look at what happens when we let one company control everything".More news: Bayern Munich pushed aside and knocked out by Liverpool
- NSW man uses mobile phone to block arrow attack
- Tom Holland Teams Back Up with Russo Brothers for 'Cherry'
- Apple Announces "It's Show Time" March 25th Event, Here's What to Expect
- Trump budget proposal cuts NIH research, retains border wall plan
- 'B****cks': United Kingdom attourney general responds to report on his Brexit advice
- Oil Prices Spike As EIA Confirms Inventory Draw
- 'King Leo' - Fans react to Lionel Messi's heroic performance
- Mars Opportunity Rover's Parting Shot Was a Beautiful Panorama
- UK, EU announce change to Brexit deal ahead of key vote
- Final Avengers: Endgame Trailer Expected To Drop By The End Of March