On Wednesday, Facebook dispelled speculation that the outage was caused by a denial-of-service attack (DDoS), a type of cyberattack that disrupts an online service by flooding it with requests.More news: New Avengers: Endgame trailer will give you chills
In addition to Facebook, irate users noted that the outage likewise affected Instagram and WhatsApp. The company did not immediately respond to a request for comment. There were still sporadic problems Thursday morning. Their outage map for Facebook showed a surge in reports in the Northeast from Washington, D.C. through NY, though a cursory search of the Twitter free-for-all on the topic indicates the reach is well beyond the greater metropolitan areas.
A spokesperson for the social network said the company was co-operating with investigators in multiple federal probes, without addressing the grand jury inquiry specifically.More news: Chiefs release oft-injured Berry after 8 seasons
According to the website Downdetector, Facebook's outage spanned the globe, with reports of disruptions concentrated on the U.S. East Coast and in the United Kingdom.
Facebook and Instagram has been coming back online for most users on March 14, but it appears it's not completely out of the woods yet. It also affected people on the West Coast, including in Portland.More news: Dollar softer on U.S
Shares of Facebook were down more than 1.5 percent Thursday afternoon.
- Police file dowry, sexual harassment charges against Indian cricketer Shami
- Pizza Pizza Offering Super Cheap Deals At Restaurants Across Canada Tomorrow
- $448M Up For Grabs In Latest Powerball Drawing
- Fans send love to Justin Bieber
- Kyle Busch Completes Weekend Sweep in Phoenix by Winning TicketGuardian 500
- Facebook & Instagram experience massive outage across US & Europe
- Ontario to ban cellphones from classrooms for non-educational purposes
- Marvel What If series reportedly coming to Disney Plus
- Tom Holland Teams Back Up with Russo Brothers for 'Cherry'
- Did Olivia Jade Know Her Application to USC was Bogus?