Pierre Taki is the voice behind Kyohei Hamura in Judgment, but he's also a member of the pop duo Denki Groove. Taki also plays Frozen's Olaf in the Japanese edition of Kingdom Hearts III, so we'll see if Square Enix feel the need to take similar action themselves. SEGA already admitted it's deleting tweets related to the game in addition to the sales blackout. It happened a scant few months ago with the remaster of Yakuza 4, after Hiroki Narimiya was allegedly photographed in 2016 using... cocaine again?
Taki was arrested for alleged cocaine use which, given Japan's extremely tough drug laws, could result in a seven-year prison sentence. Following a tip off, the police searched the actor's auto and failed to find any evidence of the drug, but then a resulting a urine sample tested positive leading to his arrest. Judgment, which is called Judge Eyes: Shinigami no Yuigon in Japan, features the voice and likeness of Mr Taki - who plays a Yakuza gangster called Kyohei Hamura.More news: NASA's new rocket won't be ready for moon shot next year
At least for now, it seems like Judgment may be done for in Japan, but what about the game's upcoming Western release? "For the time being, we will voluntarily refrain from shipments and digital sales of Judgment, as well as from things like posting the product's homepage".
At the moment it is unclear how long this suspension of the game's sales will last or whether it'll be permanent, but Sega has engaged in a veritable campaign to remove as many traces of it as possible.More news: #Trashtag: the eco-conscious social media challenge that's gone viral
This is not the first time that Sega has changed the course of a game because of an actor's conduct. In the re-release of Yakuza 4, main character Masoyashi Tanimura was recast following the same allegations.
Japan's attitude towards the usage of drugs is vastly different to other parts of the world. "Video game fans are nothing if not diligent, and bootleg translations of foreign games crop up fairly frequently", says games journalist Elliot Gardner.More news: North Korea election sees 99.99% turnout - KCNA
- Murray throws at his pro day, meets with Giants
- Google Hardware makes cuts to laptop and tablet development, cancels products
- Ethiopian Airlines flight to Nairobi crashes with 157 people on board
- Kirsten Gillibrand defends handling of sexual harassment allegations
- Facebook filed a lawsuit against the Ukrainians
- United States senator vows to seek recognition of Israeli rule in Golan
- Felicity Huffman Released from Custody on $250K Bond Amid College Admissions Scam
- Fortnite cross-play now pools players differently on consoles and mobile
- Verizon's 5G network is coming to Chicago and Minneapolis on April 11
- Firefox Send free file transfer service now available for all