"On behalf of my family and the entire Chiefs organization, I want to thank Eric for his many contributions to the Chiefs over the last nine seasons", Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt said in a statement. Other times when he wasn't available to play he encouraged his teammates with his tutelage and passion for the game. "He will always be an important part of our Chiefs family, and we wish him nothing but the best in the future".More news: Apple Announces "It's Show Time" March 25th Event, Here's What to Expect
The Chiefs agreed to a $42 million, three-year deal with former Texans safety Tyrann Mathieu before the start of free agency, and it turned out to be a signal that Berry's time in Kansas City was over.
Berry, 30, spent nine seasons in Kansas City after being drafted by the Chiefs with the fifth-overall pick in the 2010 draft. But he's been off the field for most of the last two seasons with injuries.More news: Bayern Munich pushed aside and knocked out by Liverpool
The Chiefs are expected to move away from Sutton's 3-4 scheme in favor of a new 4-3 base system under new defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo. He tore his ACL in the first quarter of the opener, ending his season. He has 440 tackles, 5.5 sacks, 51 passes defended, three forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries. That was the first of four seasons in which Berry missed nearly an entire season. Following the 2015 season, Berry was honored with the AP's Comeback Player of the Year Award as well as being the recipient of the Ed Block Courage Award after overcoming Hodgkin's lymphoma. He was also given a huge extension with the Chiefs in 2017, but a torn Achilles shut that season quickly.
Berry has played in 89 games in his career.More news: Bolsonaro links to Franco murder suspects coincidence, say police
According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, $7.25 million of Berry's contract would have become guaranteed, had he remained on the Chiefs' roster until this Friday.
- NSW man uses mobile phone to block arrow attack
- Retail Inflation Rises to Four-month High in February
- McGregor arrested in Miami after run-in with fan
- 'B****cks': United Kingdom attourney general responds to report on his Brexit advice
- Trump budget proposal cuts NIH research, retains border wall plan
- Tom Holland Teams Back Up with Russo Brothers for 'Cherry'
- Israel says uncovers Hezbollah unit led by notorious commander
- Sri Lanka lose Kusal Perera for rest of ODI series
- One soldier to face prosecution — Bloody Sunday
- Air pollution killing almost as many people as smoking in Britain