Authorities in Canada are reportedly looking for help identifying four suspects of conducting double-spend attacks on Bitcoin ATMs throughout the country, potentially taking advantage of these accepting 0-confirmation transactions. Of the 112 fraudulent transactions, investigation showed that 51 occurred in Calgary, 27 in Montreal, 17 in Toronto, 13 in Winnipeg, 2 in Sherwood, 1 in Hamilton, and another 1 in Ottawa.
They said the offenders committed so-called "double spend" attacks, where a suspect withdrew cash from a bitcoin ATM then cancelled the transaction remotely before the cryptocurrency could be removed from their accounts.More news: Kyle Busch Completes Weekend Sweep in Phoenix by Winning TicketGuardian 500
Four suspects with what police describe as "in-depth knowledge or interest in cryptocurrency, bitcoin and/or blockchain technology" are accused of defrauding the bitcoin company of almost $200,000 through "double spend attacks". The Calgary Police Service pleads with the public to supply any information relevant to the apprehension of these men.
Todd is among the Bitcoin developers who developed a tool that allows processing transactions lost in the process, however, a tweaked version of the same is believed to be used for these scam transactions.
Bitcoin scheme suspect number four.More news: Fans send love to Justin Bieber
The other two suspects in the case have been found to have attacked and withdrawn the amounts from Winnipeg and Sherwood Park respectively. Although the tools were not specifically created for such criminal activity, the tools essentially enable "stuck" transactions become "unstuck" when one pays an extra fee.
Law enforcement teams in Calgary are spearheading a nationwide investigation into a suspected Bitcoin fraud ring that made off with almost $200,000 in a little over a week. Further, there is a "double spend" tool that also seems to be at the heart of the transactions.More news: New MLB Deal To Include $1M HR Derby Bonus, Single Trade Deadline
- Marvel What If series reportedly coming to Disney Plus
- Did Olivia Jade Know Her Application to USC was Bogus?
- Virgil van Dijk: That was very close to ideal
- 'Empire' actor Jussie Smollett pleads not guilty
- Thomas Cook Staff Threaten To Remove Woman From Flight Over Outfit
- Retail Inflation Rises to Four-month High in February
- Chiefs release oft-injured Berry after 8 seasons
- Israel says uncovers Hezbollah unit led by notorious commander
- U.S. Senate votes to end support for Saudi war in Yemen
- Pizza Pizza Offering Super Cheap Deals At Restaurants Across Canada Tomorrow