According to Spotify CEO Daniel Ek, the company's India launch is a "custom-built experience".More news: Republican Mark Harris Will Not Run in New North Carolina Elections
Also, the rise of independent artists will enable India to become a global powerhouse of creators, most of whom are looking to break the scene not just locally, but globally, he said adding that it's the flawless time for Spotify to launch in India. The company claims to offer more than 40 million songs and 3 billion playlists.
As a comparison, Apple Music costs Rs 120 per month in India, Saavn costs Rs 120 for Lite version or Rs 250 for the pro version.
Speaking of track selection, Spotify is in a bit of a legal pickle as it is now being sued by Warner Music Group. For students over the age of 18 enrolled at an accredited college or university, Spotify can be subscribed for Rs 59 per month for four years. Lastly, there is a Spotify Premium Yearly subscription that is available at a price tag of Rs 1189. "WMG revoked a previously agreed upon publishing licence for reasons wholly unrelated to Spotify's launch in India", a Spotify spokesperson told BusinessLine. The case prevented Spotify to access Warner/Chappell Music catalog with the company going on record to say that it "remains the lone holdout needed for a Spotify launch in India". However, it has licencing agreements with Universal and Sony in place.More news: Spark Sparks on Prospective Sale to Roche
Spotify said it has redesigned the music experience for India with exclusive features like multi-language music recommendations and city playlists that list out trending music in various cities. "We will continue to assess our options at this stage", Spotify said.
After a long wait, Spotify just went live in India.
The company has at least a dozen employees in its Mumbai office and it is aggressively hiring in the country as it builds its local base here. It would be hard for Spotify to compete with its competitors due to their already existing strong user-base. The Swedish company had been eyeing an entry into one of the largest music market of the world and late Tuesday night, consumers were able to download and use the Spotify app from Google Play Store and Apple App Store.More news: Oil Prices Rally Despite U.S. High Output
- Tom Brady Rookie Card Sells For Record $400,000 At Auction
- A 7-Minute Pokemon-Focused Nintendo Direct Is Happening Tomorrow
- Christine Elliott Dodges Questions About Layoffs As Ontario Merges Health Agencies
- Tainted liquor kills dozens in India's Assam state
- Kim summit in Vietnam: All the latest updates
- Toronto Raptors vs. Boston Celtics - 2/26/19 NBA Pick, Odds, and Prediction
- NI to bask in record-breaking winter temperatures?
- India says it shot down one Pakistan fighter jet
- Mikael Granlund traded while fiancée was in labor
- Wilson-Raybould to speak to justice committee Wednesday afternoon